Need advice for JMT this early July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nepal
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Need advice for JMT this early July

Post by Nepal »

"1.
My guess is that high up on the actual passes, it can drop into the 20s at night with all the snow around. Whatever you need to wear to be warm depends on your expereriences."

Thank you so much. Mid 20s doesn't sound that bad at all.

"2.
probably not, but you need serious boots, not the flimsy running shoes that are so popular in the summer. Boots keep you dry and provide the hard edge you need to kick steps. They also don't cake up with wet snow like most trail runners. Ice axe may be useful to feel secure when crossing the snow field just south of Mather Pass, which will certainly still cover the trail this year in early July."

I am debating what boots I should bring? I have several boots however three of them look attractive for this trip. Lowa Mountain expert GTX is mountaineering boots, with most rigid sole and best traction on ice/snow however it is not very comfortable to hike on dry trails for long distance. My Zamberlan 760 steep GT is the most comfortable backpacking boots I own, I can walk 20 miles with them without feel a thing, but with much less rigid sole. I am thing about taking Lowa Tibet pro, with a sole rigidity between mountaineering boots and regular backpacking boots. What do you think? What kind of boots you wear when you hike JMT?

"nope, just like you don't need a water filter "

Thanks! I will dump my MSR filter from my pack just use tablets. Another pound of weight lost!

"5.

Sream crossings are your best chance to die in early season. Bring crossing shoes that fyully protect your feet, so that sudden pain by pinching toes doesn't upset your balance. Sandals are not ideal, but better than nothing. Some people just hike through in boots and cahnge socks after the crossing and then hike with wet boots. I don't do that. Some info and photos in this recent thread (especially page 2) about what to expect: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... #Post13332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

I can't hike thorough streams with my boots, they are all Gore-Tex inline, once water get in there, take forever to dry! Do you have any really light weight crossing shoes in your mind?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

AlmostThere wrote:I contend that you DO need a water filter, or other purification method. Stock users frequent the trail and getting water from sources where stock go leads to consequences. Unless you have some skill in water source selection, take a filter.
In July, there's no stock up there this year between Muir Pass and Whitney. Giardia needs to be re-introduced each year. And with all the snow melt, you won't have a hard time selecting clean water. It will be EVERYWHERE.

Now, if he was going through Yosemite and below 10,000 feet, yeah, I wouldn't touch the water there without filter or chemicals ever again. I've had my experiences.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

nepal

You are getting great advice from all these knowledgeable folks. Nothing to add except to suggest, as others did, a later starting date. Good thing about your date is fewer mosquitoes at higher elevations.
As for stream crossings I have been using Crocks Expeditions. They are light and can be tightened securely. They do not absorb water so they don't get heavier after a stream crossing and will be dry when you use them as camp shoes. They are heavier than regular crocs, though.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Nepal wrote: What kind of boots you wear when you hike JMT?

I can't hike thorough streams with my boots, they are all Gore-Tex inline, once water get in there, take forever to dry! Do you have any really light weight crossing shoes in your mind?

boots - La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX, plus gaiters that fit closely to keep the snow out of the top. Also allows you to cross streams that are only 10-12" deep without having to take the boots off. Most streams will be that deep, only a handful will require that you do change footwear.

this kind of stuff won't even slow you down, and water of that depth is very common in early season:

note frustrated ULer's in running shoes in the background - they didn't have a good day and when my kids just walked through these things they may have realized that there's a reason things like "mountaineering boots" exist

Crossing shoes? I wear really light flimsy shoes that don't really live up to my recommendation. This year, I'd probably bring some Vibram 5-fingers or crocks, or simpy some really light running shoes. You'll get a million opinions on these, but for me low weight always overuled the toe protection. This year, in early season, I'd play it safe and get some real protection.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you are going when water is snow melt and very cold, tablets (to be effective) will have a longer wait time - up to 4 hours. If you're not going to wait that long, effectiveness is reduced radically, so why use them?

If you trust fishmonger's assessment that nothing is needed, that would make more sense than using some water treatment method inappropriately.

If you feel you do need something, a filter would be faster and effective at getting out the organisms from colder water - provided you keep the filter from freezing and cracking at night. Then the filter loses its ability to filter out organisms and again, might as well not have it.

I do know people who will dip and drink from high elevation sources, but personally, I don't take any chances whatsoever. Not having medical insurance will do that to you.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

keep an eye on this snow graph. It will give you an idea how the melt is progressing this spring. Last year (also on the graph) was a pretty wet year, but most of that snow came late and it was a cool spring. Much about what the conditions will be like in early July will still be decided over the coming weeks. The plot that matters is the third one:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above graphs are averages for all elevations, though, and report "snow water content," not snow depths. Comare that to first hand reporting from May 1 - John Dittli posted this to the JMT mailing list a few days ago:
We now have the most recent field data in for snow surveys. Due to April's below average temps and subsequent low runoff, in some cases the pack increased dramatically as measured to date.

Peak runoffs are now projected to begin somewhere around the middle of May and extend well into June for the low country, later up high..

Snow pack as a percentage of May 1st average:

Merced 199%
Tuolumne 183%
San Joaquin 197%
Kings 187%
Kern 171%
Nepal
Topix Novice

Post by Nepal »

Thank you so much, fishmonger!! So you are the guy who actually wrote the 'book' about JMT? I was studying your website last night and boy it was such a great site! Tons of info, need to digest slowly.

One suggestion: some links of the snow level in your site is no longer working any more. Can you please update them if you get a chance? Thanks.

oops, never mind. I guess you just posted the link.
Nepal
Topix Novice

Post by Nepal »

AlmostThere wrote:If you need an ice axe when you go, and have never used one, get into a class in mountaineering skills beforehand, and practice the ice axe before you have to use it to self arrest. Without some experience with it, it is too easy to stab yourself on the ice axe!

I contend that you DO need a water filter, or other purification method. Stock users frequent the trail and getting water from sources where stock go leads to consequences. Unless you have some skill in water source selection, take a filter.
Thanks, AlmmostThere. I will probably use tablets which is lighter for the water.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

AlmostThere wrote:I do know people who will dip and drink from high elevation sources, but personally, I don't take any chances whatsoever. Not having medical insurance will do that to you.
FYI - weekend urgent care room visit at Manteca, CA to get antibiotics for giardia, last summer $265. The drug itself was $12 at Walgreens. Twice the price of a water filter. I have insurance, but they said "non participating provider" - great experience in terms of 3rd world health care in this country (and I pay over $16,000 a year for insurance)

This was the first time in about 15 summers up there, and my kids didn't get the bug, drinking the same water. So, yeah, there's a risk, but I am soooo tired of the filtering. One day I lost a valve while messing with the backflush on a Hyperflow ($100) and it went in the trash at VVR. Never used a filter in early season since that day. In fall, I would definitely bring a filter, as water sources become limited and you will have to drink from places I would not touch in July, and chemicals are too slow. Steripen may be worth it, but it's just another electronic gizmo that can fail at the wrong time.
Nepal
Topix Novice

Post by Nepal »

gary c. wrote:Nepal, glad to see that you made it over here and are getting some good advise. Like the others have already suggested I think most everyone is pushing there trips back by at least a month or so this year because of the heavy snows this year. If yours were a short trip it might not be so big of a deal but you would hate to wait until July to find out the passes were closed because of snow. There are also several Sierra photographers that can probably tell you some must see places to photograph (and probably relate to your pack wieght).
thank you again, Gary! This is indeed a great site with so many knowledge folks around. I am so glad you pointed me the right direction.