extemporaneous trail food

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ogg
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

extemporaneous trail food

Post by ogg »

Has anyone had those moments on the trail when you reach into your food bag and find that none of the meals you'd planned is appealing to you, so you kind of wing it and put together a strange concoction that turns out to taste really good? Recently for me, it was mini-burritos filled with peanut butter and yogurt covered raisins, really hit the spot.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: extemporaneous trail food

Post by Oubliet »

I've decided to recombine ingredients from different meals before.

There have been items that tasted good the first couple of days, but not to my taste after that. Usually, it's if the item is low in salt or fat.

An example are these wonderful teriyaki dry-cured sausages that a local butcher shop smokes. They taste great when I am in-town, or the first couple of days on the trail. A couple of years ago, brought enough for my lunches on an 8 day trip. I found that after a couple of days of sweating on the trail, nice, lean, low sodium sausages didn't appeal to me, anymore. I ended up eating all of my salted peanuts and rice crackers, instead. I am better off bringing the fatty Columbo salamis on trips.

I've noticed that the soup packets that come with ramen noodles don't taste overly salty, at all, on backpack trips. Now, I like bringing those to have with a handful of dried veggies and an egg mixed in them for a meal. (Yeah, it sounds like college student fare, doesn't it?)posting.php?mode=reply&f=26&t=6050&conf ... 4W5F5TY8KI#