Lamarck Col vs Echo Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
slade
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Lamarck Col vs Echo Col

Post by slade »

To East Side Hiker:

How would you compare Echo Col to Lamarck Col as a route to Ionian Basin?

Thank you,

slade
slade
Topix Acquainted

Re: Lamarck Col vs Echo Col

Post by slade »

Thanks and apologies to the monitor. Relabeling and starting a new topic makes good sense (I'll learn the ropes in time).

And anyone (in addition to East Side Hiker) who can contribute to this new discussion topic, please chime in (I only addressed it to East Side Hiker because he stated he plans to visit Ionian Basin from the east side via Lamarck Col).
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I have done both. I only climbed to Echo Col and Lamarck Col was a quick way into the backcountry where there is solitude. The waterfall out of Echo Lake is impressive.

Texan
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I, for whatever reason I can't explain, like Lamark Col. I love the Darwin Basin, and going down it and then up Evolution pleases me. Lamark Col is pretty easy, though the drive to North Lake is not. Its long and tedious. I love the drive to Mosquito Flat.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Slade wrote "Thanks and apologies to the monitor."
No apologies needed, that is what we are here for.
Lamarck Col is much easier than Echo Col, because on Echo Col you can get into
trouble if you take the wrong route and get stuck up on a cliff, the route is more
involved than Lamarck, that's why it's a class 3.
Lamarck is very straight forward, and as ESH mentions Darwin Canyon, and especially
Darwin Bench is beautiful (views from it).
Getting from North Lake to Ionian via Lamarck Col-Black Giant Pass or Wanda Pass
will take you 3 days, so plan accordingly.
Here is a photo of Echo Col http://www.summitpost.org/echo-col-12-4 ... ada/336517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a description of the Lamarck Col route with photo's (one of many):
http://www.ljhelms.com/albums/0608Evolution/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
slade
Topix Acquainted

Post by slade »

Gracias.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Maverick, you are the best!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

As Maverick says, Lamarck Col is much easier than Echo Col. For all intents and purposes, Lamarck is a trailed route all the way from the North Lake trailhead to the small tarn just beneath the pass. The west side of the pass has a faint use trail (which is easy to lose) until you get down to the lakes in the basin below -- I usually just approach this leg of the route as pure cross country and forget about any trail.

Echo Col is a classic class 3 cross country route, usually requiring an ice axe. Route finding can be tricky.

I think the Echo Col route is a little more direct for getting to the Ionian Basin, but the Lamarck Col route is much easier and is my route of choice. A second easier but less direct route, would be to approach the Ionian Basin from the backside, via Piute Pass, down Piute Creek to the JMT junction and then up Goddard Canyon and into Ionian Basin via Martha Lake and Goddard Pass.

Mike
paul
Topix Expert

and yet another way to get there

Post by paul »

You can also get to Ionian from the west via Blackcap basin, starting at either Courtwright or Wishon reservoir; or via Goddard canyon, starting from Florence lake. A nice trip report (for the Florence lake start, IIRC) was posted here some time back. Some very pretty country on either of those routes.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I've been to the Ionian Basin from Courtright several times. It's not a bad trip, but it can be dry on the west side, with cows, and you have to make some good moves around Mt Reinstein (spelled right?). The drive to Courtright is tedious.

I'd do it from Lamark Col. I did that once (to Ionian Basin), and it might be a little longer, but its much more beautiful. The drive is beautiful. And its the East Side. Lamark Col is one of the best passes. And Darwin Basin is fantastic, and Elovution is just as fantastic. One of the most beautiful places in the Sierra.