Yosemite Valley today - 2011

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Valley today - 2011

Post by markskor »

Mav,
Cannot answer any of those questions...Ranger I talked to did not even know - (I asked.)
Was staying in campground next to stables, and had just returned from a morning walk where discovered the BP restroom problem, I asked first available ranger I saw. She did not even know the restroom was gone - yet (she had not gone back there in a while.)...must be a recent thing. Nobody seems to know anything, or at least they are not telling.
She did mention that water and sewage are separate entities and that water should be restored soon enough easily, but as for restrooms, she said she had heard about 3 porta-potties discussed somewhere, or... "You can always make the short walk to the first restroom building across the small bridge."
She also mentioned that in her opinion, a lot of things get started in the park but few actually get finished on time. Also she agreed that the BP site was the best site in the park, but they really did not want a bunch of packers peeing on every tree back there.
Hence the sigh.

Might be worth a call after May 1 when the Valley permit office re-opens. Stay tuned I guess.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by snusmumriken »

Mark I love the drawings -even the bathroom one is quite fetching.

If they are rerouting the sewer to bypass this area altogether, I wonder what this mean for the backpacker campground. They might provide portapotties as a short term solution for this season but I doubt they would really allow a campground to continue in operation without sewer. Anybody else know the scoop on this?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Picture of climbers on El Cap;
Top left corner of squarish boot (two climbers - one in red) - middle right of picture.
(click on wall doc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Rye_Tyler
Topix Acquainted

Post by Rye_Tyler »

Mark, Great drawings! Thanks for the update. I'll bet the falls are goregous..
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Looks like the porta-potties and no water is now official.

From the yosemite website:
Yosemite Valley: The backpackers' campground is behind North Pines Campground (and across the footbridge). Open April through mid October (approximately). If arriving at night, please be quiet as you unload your car in the unloading zone and walk to the campground. This campground has vault toilets and no potable water (potable water is available nearby in North Pines Campground).
Nepal
Topix Novice

Great to hear snow is melting!

Post by Nepal »

Thanks for the good news! I also just come back from Yosemite a couple of months ago though...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2380/569 ... d3de_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/569 ... 895e_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/569 ... 80eb_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;