Cross Country Gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Cross Country Route

Post by whrdafamI? »

RoguePhotonic wrote:
Your list has a "gear" repair kit, why not a "you" repair kit?
Lol true. I used many items in the gear repair kit last year. I did see a very basic first aid kit today that was very light weight. I might go with that.
It's possible to find your way with only maps, but a compass makes it much easier
I don't think a compass would do much for me in the Sierra. I know the areas so well that I never have a question of which way is North or South. In general I think I could find my way through my entire hike with no GPS or maps.
Take a class then. Places like REI have basic mountaineering classes.
I'd probably do that when I get into something more skilled like technical climbing.
I would rather have a better pad, but that's just me.

I also prefer bug free zones.
Years ago I started sleeping on the floor at home so I would be comfortable sleeping any where and it worked just fine. I wouldn't bring a pad at all if I didn't need insulation.

I like bug free zones also but I don't let the winged demons keep me from enjoying all these places. Sure is nice though when they go away and I can just sleep out under the stars.

Yeah, the Ranger in the "Last Season" really knew the Sierra's too. Anyone who would venture out like this with out a First Aid kit is playing Russian Roulette. Sooner or later your going to need it. Might not even be for you.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Re: Cross Country Gear

Post by sirlight »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I can add to the list: REI Day Pack First-Aid Kit
This kit is a good start and I am glad you decided to bring one.

Though I am no expert and will not even attempt to suggest what a good first aid kit should contain, I will suggest a few things anyway. I agree that the pills that are in most of these kits are not of much use. The pills that I bring on my trips are a anti-diarrhoeal and a broad spectrum antibiotic. Believe it or not a bad case of diarrhea be very dangerous in the backcountry. Same goes for infections. You need a prescription for antibiotics, but they are very cheap.

Another good thing to add some butterfly closures. This can be used to close small to medium lacerations without resorting to using your sewing kit. They work great, but they did not stick to my hairy legs. If you are an ape man like I am, you might want to bring along a razor blade to shave the area near your wound before using the closures. I would tack on a few more gauze pads too.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Believe it or not a bad case of diarrhea be very dangerous in the backcountry
Oh I do know that. Last year on day 19 of my trip I got a mild case of diarrhea and it took every bit of energy I had. I was nearly ready to collapse on the trail from being so weak but managed to push on. My TP ran out though and that was no fun! That was why I spent 2 days in Mammoth so I could fully recover.

All the suggestions are good but even if I could get some antibiotics I think I might be allergic to penicillin.

The kit does come with two butterfly closures.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Carrying an ice axe is not going to do much good unless you can actually use it. There are many techniques that are not intuitive. Although learning from an experienced person is best, reading about how to use an ice axe is better than nothing. I think "Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills" has a very good chapter on snow travel and ice axe use. You may be able to find this in a library. I bet you can find some good information on the internet too. And once you have read stuff, go out and practice. Understand that techniques of stopping yourself with an iceaxe are based on using an ice axe climbing - NOT carrying a full pack. It is VERY difficult to ice-axe arrest with a fully loaded pack on your back. I find trekking poles actaully better for keeping me from falling in the first place. Do not become over-confident just because you have an ice axe in hand. Same with crampons. They actually make stopping yourself more difficult once you fall, even though they are good at keeping you from falling.

Rope- be sure your rope or cord has the strength required for the task. I find parachute cord fine for lowering my pack, but it is not strong enough for me to lower myself on. "clothesline" is not good. You can go to a climbing store and get any length cut of nylon cording- anywhere from parachute cord diameter to 9 mm.

Towel- I would trade the towel for two bandanas that could also double for bandages.

First aid- Take first aid gear appropriate to your training. I really take very little first aid gear- ace bandage, roll of tape, needle (to extract slivers), benydrell (or similar for any odd-ball allergic reaction), advil or tylonol (more as needed if you get a fever than as a pain reliever), some pills that stop you up if you get diareha, 2 multi-purpose bandanas, nail clippers (when out a long time, it is very important to keep nails trimmed and avoid hangnails- this small anoyance can become a serious problem, as fully functioning feet and hands are very important) . You need not carry tons of pills - just a few and they weigh so little. I just wash wounds with water. My experience is that I do not get infections easily in the outdoors. I sterilize the needle befor using by holding it under a flame. Often I have to get slivers or ticks out and the needle is great. I do not use tweezers- I have good fingernails. I also take one sheet of moleskin - rarely use it but it has more than once allowed me to continue walking many more miles. First aid gear is very useful to prevent small stuff from becoming serious problems so it really aids you in your travels. Hand and feet hygiene is very important- although not "first aid" gear, think about taking a small tin of pure lanoline to keep your hands from drying out and cracking. Lately, I have become a fan of wearing light garden gloves while hiking. But if you have done trail maintenance, you know all about gloves and protecting hands.

Compass - I have not carried a compass in 15 years and never missed it. You need excellent map reading ability and a good sense of direction. Really keep track of your location. Stop and figure things out before you get so far off you are lost.

5-toe waders- a bit heavy. I use crocks most the time and simply wade in my hiking shoes if the crossing is really tough. I find that in a really swift crossing I want a laced-on shoe. My hiking shoes usually dry quite quickly anyway so do not be afraid of getting shoes wet if it is needed to stay safe during crossings.

You have CHOSEN to trade comfort and safety gear (more warm clothing) for your "hobby" gear - camera gear and journal -trip recording stuff. I make no judgement of that. It is your trip. You will be coming out now and then to resupply. Your gear list is not set in stone. Nothing wrong with adding or deleting something half-way through your trip. Take enough cash (or credit card) so that you can buy gear if needed. Also, gear does wear out. Be aware that shoes can fall apart - duct tape and super-glue is great for temporary fixes.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The rope I bring for a clothesline is certainly strong enough to lower my pack on. I did get it from a climbing store and it was the smallest they had but it's larger then parachute cord. Since I have only ever used it for a clothesline I should replace it with something smaller to be lighter.

I'm not sure how great two bandannas would be to dry your whole body after a shower. I have to use it at the resorts also.
First aid- Take first aid gear appropriate to your training.
My knowledge of first aid is fairly rudimentary. As mentioned I never go to any doctors or take any medications so my knowledge of them is basic. I have been certified in basic first aid and CPR but anyone who has taken that knows it doesn't amount for much.

I do bring nail clippers.
My experience is that I do not get infections easily in the outdoors.
That's not surprising since the Sierra is so clean.

Dry hands is generally not a problem I have. I do tend to wear gloves as I hike for mosquito and sun protection but near the end of my hike last year I didn't wear them as much. You get a good tan and no longer burn and no winged demons to bite you.

As for feet I tend to try and let them cool off when I take breaks by taking off my boots and I wash daily. I tend to keep up on personal hygiene a bit more then I see from most hikers while on the trail. That's why I take 3 socks and shirts so I can change them daily and then do laundry every other day. Most guys I run across don't even bother wearing deodorant while in the back country but I still do!
5-toe waders- a bit heavy. I use crocks most the time and simply wade in my hiking shoes if the crossing is really tough. I find that in a really swift crossing I want a laced-on shoe. My hiking shoes usually dry quite quickly anyway so do not be afraid of getting shoes wet if it is needed to stay safe during crossings
Yeah they are a bit heavy and I did think of going with something lighter like crocks but they are far more functional then crocks would be. My boots are full grain leather and goretex so it's unlikely they will dry very fast especially if the crossing I get them wet on is late in the day.
You have CHOSEN to trade comfort and safety gear (more warm clothing) for your "hobby" gear - camera gear and journal -trip recording stuff. I make no judgement of that. It is your trip. You will be coming out now and then to resupply. Your gear list is not set in stone. Nothing wrong with adding or deleting something half-way through your trip. Take enough cash (or credit card) so that you can buy gear if needed. Also, gear does wear out. Be aware that shoes can fall apart - duct tape and super-glue is great for temporary fixes.
It's not so much trading it as I judge what I have to be sufficient. Last year being out from July 10th to September 18th I used my down jacket for warmth a total of 0 times. Even at Lake South America when it was 15F and the wind was blowing 40MPH I only had on my rain shell and it was warm enough. My legs don't tend to ever feel cold. Also if things did get very cold I would have 3 shirts I could layer up on.

Your right though that as time goes on I will send stuff home I don't need. Buying gear will be a possibility the whole way since I plan to have at least 1500 dollars while on the trail. If I last until October and decide I need some thermals there are a couple locations I could probably pick up some.

The shoes is what I worry about wearing out the most. I bought the vioz GT boots because I think their design is likely to last longer because they don't have stitching all over them. The last two years I used Merrell boots and both times within a week on the trail holes were forming where stitching failed.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, Merrells are really comfortable shoes, and I love my Merrells, but they do wear out FAST! Unfortunately you really do not know how your boots will wear until you just go out and use them. Less stitching is better. Soles can be problems - I have seen them just laminate off the shoe. Very few long lasting boots are made nowadays. In an emergency you could walk out in your 5-toe waders.

As for bandanas for towels- I always wash my undershirt when I take a dip, so I also use the undershirt to dry off with (in addition to the bandanas), then wash the undershirt. I do not get entirely dry but the wind quickly finishes the job. Just a suggestion.

With a trip as long as you are taking, you may get some good information from the PCT web sites. These folks have a good idea of how long shoes last, etc. And they really have all the resupply points in the Sierra figured out.

http://www.trailforums.com/peakindex.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure this is the best long-distance forum, but it is worth a try.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rogue writes "Buying gear will be a possibility the whole way since I plan to have at
least 1500 dollars while on the trail."
Rogue, not something you should really publicize.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Lol get mugged on the trail. No worse then when I would tell people my camera cost 5000 dollars last year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rogue wrote "Lol get mugged on the trail." Glad to see I can humor you, but on the
real tip, why did you buy your 5D if your not going to take on such a great trip?
Yeah, yeah it weights more, so, are really going to be happy with the quality of the
files of the point and shot compared to your large frame camera?
With a trip like that you can put together a great coffee table book on SEKI with those
files from your 5D, not to mention some quality 24x36 prints, with good technique.
If you spent that much money on it than you must have a passion for it, and will be
disappointed that you did not decide to take it.
Just take the 24-105 with it, and your set.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I don't like the idea of not taking it after I did the last two years but my trip is going to be hard enough as it is without 7 more pounds of camera gear. The Canon G12 hopefully wont dissapoint. With better wide angle I have got more into using Microsoft ICE all the time to get the shot I want.

I only have the 24-70MM with the 5D2 though.

I'm sure if I did take it I would be the only person to ever have done the Sierra High Route with one.