High trailheads - 10,000'

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

High trailheads - 10,000'

Post by East Side Hiker »

As I've grown older, I've gravitated to higher trailheads. As a kid, we would deliberately hike the bad trails - like Cotonwood Creek from the valley bottom to the trailhead, then go over New Army Pass into the NP.

Now, being almost 60, and photography being my focus (acutally phenology is my interest), I gravite to the high places. The places like on the Tioga Crest where there are micro-gardens of many species in small colonies (**** of a climb); or Mt. Dana where micro-gardens are scatered among clumps of sky pilot in uncomprehesible rock piles; with small weadows of alpine columbine and Delphinium widely scattered about the trail.

In the Sierra there's just a few places that one can drive to about 10,000' or above. And easily get into the alpine.

Sonora Pass is just shy of 10,000, but I'll count it. Tioga Pass, also just shy, but it counts because I climb Dana every year for the past 12 or so years. Saddlebag Lake (because I explore Tioga Creast every year). Horseshoe Mdw. Mosquito Flat. Virginia Lakes. Mt Rose, though not nearly 10,000', is similar habitat. And there's the White Mtns, not in the Sierra.

Those are the places to go for me.

The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: High trailheads - 10,000'

Post by The Other Tom »

Phenolgoy.....I had to look that one up. Thanks for posting this list. It's good to know for us non locals.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Here's a few photos from Rock Creek last Thursday (April 21). The road is plowed to the pack station (9850ft) - its about 4-5 feet deep at that point. We went sledding with the kids rather than hiking, but the snow is reasonably consolidated in most places. The lake had a small patch of open water (right side of photo).

On the East side (Bishop to Mono Lake) the snow level is about 8000ft at the moment (down to ~7500ft in trees/shade). Coming over Carson Pass on the way back the snow was solid down to 6000ft on the West side and very deep high up (20-30ft drifts on Carson Spur).
Rock Creek road.jpg
Rock Creek pack station.jpg
Rock Creek lake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

a great perspective about now..
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Interesting! I was just getting ready to post about the snow sensor data for Cottonwood lakes at over 10,000 feet but further s. Only 18" of water with water content dropping about .5" per day. Depending on road conditions Cottonwood lakes could be a Memorial Day destination. Here is the url:

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Tim for posting these photo's and the 411, it sure shows us what things look
like at these elevations, at least in this particular area.
Cool to see Rock Creek Lake still snow covered.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

We drove all the way up the Sierra (as our trip was to Death Valley) - southern destinations are much clearer of snow. The Cottonwood road was basically clear of snow up to the top of the switchbacks that you can see from Lone Pine. Olancha Peak snow level was ~10K feet, Owens Peak (8500ft) completely clear. Southern Sierra may well be a decent destination for Memorial Day. On the other hand the White Mountains were very white...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tim,

How about a TR on your trip to DV in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Sadly it wasn't a backpacking trip, but we did see some great flower displays
Wildrose canyon.jpg
Ridgecrest flowers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mike, thanks for posting the Cottonwood link. That's the most encouraging thing I've seen about the Sierra this year! I've been sort of resigning myself to backpacking in the San Bernardino mountains in June, but maybe I won't have to.