Cross Country Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Cross Country Route

Post by hikerchick395 »

:dontknow where is the smilie eating popcorn?

I, like rlown, will be looking forward to the trip reort
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

So am I, and personally I hope Rogue has a fantastic trip. I certainly appreciate the fact that people are pointing out all the potential dangers that he may or may not be 100% focused on, but I feel like there's an awful lot of "tsk tsking" going on in this thread. It's not like he's never done long x-country trips through the Sierra before.

On the related topic I raised, I think SAR should charge (and be able to charge) people. Just as I admire Rogue's sense of adventure, I think people should be held personally responsible for their actions. If I ever had to be rescued, whether the result of a "stupid" mistake or just bad luck, I would certainly think it fair that I should pay at least some portion of the cost. I should think most people would find it's worth the cost, given the alternative to not being rescued!
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

quentinc wrote:I think SAR should charge (and be able to charge) people.
I agree with charging for SAR.

I would think the embarrassment of having to be rescued would far outweigh what you might have to pay for the SAR. But if it's a choice between dying and rescue, I think almost every would choose rescue. Nobody wants to become a discovery channel special. There is nothing wrong with dying doing what you love, just try not to look stupid in the process.

I too am looking forward to seeing the trip report!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Sirlight, it's funny that you say that. I too was thinking that it wouldn't be the cost that would make me hesitate asking for a rescue, it would be the embarrassment. But then I thought it sounded too stupid to consider putting pride ahead of saving one's life. Still, I've certainly been in situations (generally not life-threatening) where I've struggled with that dilemma.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

A "ford" is actually a vehicle "found on road dead."

A dictionary will not help people have fun while safely exploring the magnificent and beautiful, but sometimes dangerous, High Sierra. Long-time experience is what helps one safely explore the magnificent and beautiful High Sierra; and allows one to recognize and avoid dangers.

A dictionary also won't help one "ford" - if you have to use a dictionary definition - a trail where it crosses a river when the water is high and rushing, and you have to hike up or down the drainage to find a log or strategicly spaced boulders to attempt to cross the river; a log or boulder that one could fall off of and get swept down the river with your backpack holding you under the water.

Embarressment would of course be moot if one was caught in that sort of situation. Maybe some people will breeze through this summer's run-off and potentially dangerous snow and rock conditions. And they may laugh it all off by their success. I'm old and look at things very carefully. There's nothing like taking it easy and building experience. This could potentially be a bad summer. Cross "fords" as early in the morning as possibe, and have a good pole or stick to make a 3-point connection.

Who knows, it could even continue snowing/raining into June this year.

I've been planning a trip since September for a May hike that I've aborted. The potential for mishaps this summer is higher than they have been for many years. Snow, run-off, and rock slide conditions could be very bad.

SAR participants will not be in a good mood this summer. And SARs should absolutely be charged for, especially in cases where negligence can be established.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I haven’t put my two cents worth on this thread. Though I suspect what I say will be ignored just as the comments by all the real experts, here’s my two cents.

In 1998, the last heavy snow year, I did a 38 day solo trip. I left on August 4. Every pass and the approaches to the passes were under deep snow. These were passes with trails. Below is a link to a photo from Muir Pass taken on August 13. The snow began below Wanda Lake. Cross-country routes that year were a lot worse. There was a nasty cornice at Shout of Relief Pass; I’d already decided not to do it by that point. I ran into one guy on Pinchot Pass who had gone over the Potluck, Cirque Pass route. He had an ice axe and said it had been an experience he didn’t wish to repeat. I was considering going through Ionian Basin. I checked in at the LeConte ranger station with George Durkee (thanks for the great help and advice, George). Rob Hayden, the Evolution Valley ranger, was there after having gone through Ionian Basin the day before. He said the snow coverage was at least 60%. This was on August 24. This year the conditions will probably be similar. You say you are still planning to leave on June 26? I wish you the best, but as George Durkee said, this year may not be the year for doing the trip you've outlined.

http://www.sonic.net/~words/Images/Muir ... wnorth.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, that's ice on Wanda Lake.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

That's certainly a good amount of snow on Muir for that time of year. I think it's very likely I will keep my June 26th depart time even if it requires significant detours or delays of my schedule. Regardless of my route I want to stay out for 3 months or more.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I've made a few minor adjustments to my route. Since my dad is planning to join me for the Gardiner Basin loop I thought i'd make it easier for him and instead of crossing Gardiner Pass in 2 days which would be a 4000 foot gain on day 2 I will break it up into 3 days such as stay further down Bubbs Creek than Junction Meadow. Then go to Charlotte Lake and then over Gardiner back onto route on day 3. I have changed my layover and path to go to Dragon Lake and then layover there. Then return to 60 Lakes Basin and scrap the random cross country route there and instead go straight North through the basin until the end and drop back down to the JMT.

I have decided after crossing Frozen Lake Pass to go over Upper Basin Crossing to Amphitheater Lake and down to the JMT, back up the Golden Stair Case and onto route. Because of the change in camping locations and miles I will scrap the climb of Mt. Sill. I'd rather have the chance for a cross country hike through an extremely remote area over a summit I can climb another day.

When I close in on the upper trail in Yosemite I had planned to follow the Sierra High Route path exactly but I have wanted to visit Harriet Lake so I have rerouted and picked a more efficient route to the trail heading South then I had before.

I have put together a pass list in the order I will cross them. A quite intimidating number at 58 passes!

Coyote
Farewell
Timber
Horn Col
Copper Mine
Colby
Harrison
Gardiner
Sixty Lake Col
Granite
Kennedy
Grouse Lake
Goat Crest Saddle
Gray S
Gray N
White
Red
Frozen Lake
Upper Basin Crossing
Cirque
Potluck
Thunderbolt
Bishop x2
Muir
Alpine Col
Puppet
Feather
White Bear
Gabbott
Rohn
Nancy
Whitebark
Garnet
Glacier Lake
Blue Lake
Red Peak
Mine Shaft
Sky Pilot Col
Stanton
Horse Canyon
Seavey
Benson
Cathedral
Tuolumne
Donohue
Island
Goodale
Selden
Reinstein
Kennedy
Avalanche
Elizabeth
Kaweah Gap
Sawtooth
Timber Gap
Franklin
Black Rock

I think I will have bitten off more then I can physically chew.
Last edited by RoguePhotonic on Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

"I think I have bitten off more then I can physically chew."

Ya think?
BTW, First sane realization made...better here than up there though. Will be impressed if all this planning comes to fruition. Good luck!
Mountainman who swims with trout
slade
Topix Acquainted

Post by slade »

While this thread suffers in some of its content and tone, overall I find it extremely informative and useful. A big "thank you" to RoguePhotonic, and all his critics. slade