Copper Mine Pass in September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Copper Mine Pass in September

Post by Captain Slappy »

I'm putting together a circle route hike for September. I'm using the Circle of Solitude hike as a rough outline but also considering some variations that I've read about. One of the alternate routes would be to use Deadman Canyon instead of Cloud Canyon and heading east over Copper Mine Pass and then continuing east (past Triple Divide Peak) and heading down into the basin. This map shows the possible trail variation in the bottom left:

http://jodag.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/ ... cosmap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this route be extremely difficult in terms of trail finding and possible snow/ice coverage? Thanks.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Copper Mine Pass in September

Post by Mike M. »

Captain, the route you have traced on the map does not jive with your written description, which has you crossing the divide north of Triple Divide Peak. That route would take you over Triple Divide Pass, which is class 2. The ridge south of Triple Divide Pass, which your map shows you crossing, is very steep -- looks like at least class 4 to me.

Both Deadman and Cloud canyons are extremely photogenic. The view of Deadman Canyon from Elizabeth Pass is awesome, as is the view of Cloud Canyon and the spine of the Whaleback from Glacier Lake.

I've done the traverse from Elizabeth Pass to Glacier Lake; it is class 2.

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Captain Slappy

The route you have outlined is not the correct route to access the Kern-Kaweah
area form TDP.
You need to head east from Glacier Lake up the bowl to TDP from where you have
two options, one is to head over toward the Colby Pass Trail or two, traverse from the pass
around the eastern side of the peak till you get near the southeastern side of
the peak, and then head south till you find a break in the wall, and from there
its a piece of cake.
The second version is more difficult, you should have good route finding abilities and be
very comfortable with very steep class 2 terrain!
http://sierrabackpacker.com/TripleDividePeak.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

CS

Snow should not be a serious problem in this area. Even if snow is present the 3 foot deep suncups that sometimes form are like a giant staircase, tedious but doable. As others have noted your route after Glacier is a bit off--follow their guidance. Going up Deadman rather than do the route you propose (it is doable) I would head to the saddle just to the w of the termination of Glacier Ridge. There is actually an old miners trail that goes up there. there is the old miner's campsite and a prospect just below the saddle. The trail then goes right up almost to the top of the peak at the southern terminous of Glacier Ridge. Keep an eye out for a faint trail heading to the left toward the peak. The trail leads to an old mine shaft with a wooden winch. There is a hole thru the side that you can look into Cloud Canyon too. Upper Cloud also has some remnants of prospecting activity. Anyhow when the main trail heads off the ridge into Cloud you get to the only class 2 stuff on the route. My suggestion is not to try and follow any trail beyond this point and just eyeball your way to the tarn on the n side of Lion Lake Pass. From the tarn there is a user trail across a scree slope that traverses around to Glacier Lake.

Have fun.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

Thanks. It sounds like this might be a possibility, then.

I think I've got a better idea now as far as Copper Mine Pass and Triple Divide Pass...

So from Triple Divide Pass, the easiest way to continue on is going all the way east to the Colby Pass Trail (red line), before descening to the Kern Kaweah River?

Last edited by Captain Slappy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

The red line on the first map is not what I suggested but is doable. Going up deadman I would head s. to what is indicated on the map as a "mine" but really is what I would call a prospect. On the second map there is a green line going along the ridgetop toward Colby Pass which is off the map. No one suggested that you follow that route.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

See this link for descriptions of the passes in this area:

http://sierrabackpacker.com/TripleDividePeak.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Careful route finding is required as you descend on the east side of Triple Divide Pass. Do not follow the ridge, as you have indicated on your map. Instead, work your way down (patiently) following a generally NE route to the Colby Pass Trail, or pick your way carefully down the cliffy terrain to the high basin just below and slightly SE of Triple Divide Pass.

Mike
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

oldranger wrote:Going up deadman I would head s. to what is indicated on the map as a "mine" but really is what I would call a prospect.
I fixed that on the top map, I think. Looking at Mike's link, where the Secor Copper Pass is indicated and reading Secor's description, I put the trail in the wrong place. I'd love to see the mining ruins, though, so I would definitely head for the mine.
oldranger wrote: On the second map there is a green line going along the ridgetop toward Colby Pass which is off the map. No one suggested that you follow that route.
That green line is automatically generated on whatever Google Earth layer I was using. I didn't mean to follow it.
mike m. wrote:Careful route finding is required as you descend on the east side of Triple Divide Pass. Do not follow the ridge, as you have indicated on your map. Instead, work your way down (patiently) following a generally NE route to the Colby Pass Trail, or pick your way carefully down the cliffy terrain to the high basin just below and slightly SE of Triple Divide Pass.
I think I would opt for the NE route. The SE way sounds more difficult.

The pass descriptions at sierrabackpacker.com are very hepful btw. My next bit of research is weighing a route from Lake South America over Harrison Pass to East Lake vs. the JMT and Foreseter Pass, which is the more traditional route.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

Just a quick update and question on this. I am now looking at the possibility of a Sep. 28-Oct. 5 time frame for this hike. Is this too late in the season? I've read some accounts of people getting stuck in October. I guess I'm just wondering how often this happens and how deep into the month. I will of course be checking the forecast before I go.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My guess is that you will be all right, just remember that it will be cold at night, and
days will be shorter, less time to hike.
It's usually the 2nd or 3rd week into October when things can get crazy, but keep in
mind mother nature does not play by set rules, so just be prepared with warm
clothes, and extra food.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org