Tioga Pass opening date

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Tioga Pass opening date

Post by hikerchick395 »

Today is the day that they are supposed to start plowing. Easy to remember as, usually, income taxes are due. But, did they postpone, like the delayed deadline for taxes this year? I haven't heard...

Saturday June 11
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Yose updated their page at: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yosemite National Park road crews are assessing the Tioga Road for current conditions and avalanche danger. This is the largest snow year the park has seen since 1995. Over ten feet of snow is still covering the Tioga Road.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

I'm going to be an optimist! I believe in a fast May melt and a fabulous 2011 season. Thursday June 16th is my bet.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Right to name Eric's new girl
LOL - If that's the case I'm going with July 1
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

I've got a trip down Yos. Creek planned on June 10th so that's what I'm hoping for. I also have a house up at Serene Lakes at Donner Summit where there are propane tank leaks (and one house exploded) due to the heavy snow pack:
It was a big deal just to get to the front door. ](*,)
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Devils Postpile say they are targeting an opening date of June 24 and will only start plowing after Tioga and Sonora Passes have been cleared:
http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So it would be logical to hope for a Tioga opening date in mid-June unless Devils Postpile are being way too optimistic (or there is some other holdup like avalanche danger).
They also have some cool photos of how much snow there is on their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/devilspostpile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW Does anyone know when Cedar Grove will be open (road and/or campground)?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

You just have to get there more often to keep up with the snow. :) I work out of town all week, so Friday night, I have to tromp thru the snow, get the woodstove going, change clothes, tromp out to the garage, fire up the snow thrower, clear off the garage approach, unstick the truck so I can park in the garage, clear a path out to the pumphouse and to the deck so I can get inside. Finish in the AM. Takes over an hour for a 18"-24" snow dump. Fix dinner, eat.
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

um.. they're running cats over tioga to shave off the top so the plows will work. Do you actually read any of the tioga pages?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Last Update: April 29, 2011

Tioga Road: Snow removal operations are nearing the first avalanche zones at South Fork. Avalanche rescue training was performed near Gin Flat. Avalanche crews spent the week blasting and spreading charcoal at Olmsted Point to help reduce the snow above the road. Caltrans is working 120 west from Lee Vining to the park entrance at Tioga Pass.

Glacier Point Road: Deep snow, 8-12 feet, still describes the work week. Two dozers worked all week pushing multiple lifts of snow off to the sides of the road so the rotaries can then blow the rest up and out of the roadway. The dozers are east of Bridalveil Creek Campground with the rotaries not far behind.
Mariposa Grove: Open to the grove parking lot. The great weather has dried the loop road shoulders and base to the extent that current restrictions on large vehicles and the tram operations will most likely be dropped next week.

Once plowing of the Tioga Road is completed, additional work must be completed before the road can safely be opened.

Same URL as mentioned above.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

East side of Tioga on 4-28: