Foot Care & Socks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Foot Care & Socks

Post by Herm »

I wear merino wool socks, without liners - either REI or SmartWool. Generally, blisters are not a problem, although I occasionally experience a hot spot - moleskin is carried just in case. I will carry up to 3 pairs of socks of varying thickness to use as conditions warrant (light hikers, hikers and expedition weight). It is not uncommon that I will wear a pair for up to 3 or 4 days, without funk. When in camp, I change out of my hiking socks, turn them inside out and let them air dry. If it is warm enough, I will lounge around in my Crocs without socks. If it is cool, then I will will put on a clean pair of socks, and lounge in the Crocs - those serve as my dedicated camp socks, at least until my final day. Washing in stream or lake as warranted. And I prefer leather hiking boots.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

I prefer a thicker padded wool/synthetic sock. I don't use liner socks. Merrel ventilators fit my foot perfect, and are breathable enough when sweat kicks up. I kick off shoes on most breaks and soak my tired dogs in ice cold creeks as much as possible.

I carry one spair pair, they are swapped and washed pretty much as soon as the washed pair drys. Usually one swap a day is good unless its really hot.

The only time I remember getting blisters on the trail was caused by crappy lightweight constrictive socks, sneakers (shoes were great, the tight socks were the anomaly), and a really tough hike. Despite the moleskin and ductape, it was a miserable couple days, and I don't plan on repeating.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Several years ago I darn near ran out of skin to donate to the science of not getting blisters. What I found that worked for me was liners and Smartwool socks. The liners are my size. The Smartwools are a size too small. Why? A tight fit was the answer. If they are tight going on there is little chance left to get a wrinkle. Putting tape on first in key areas of past unhappiness is a trick I learned from my good friend last year.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Category A.

Mainly do weekend trips. Using some random mid or heavyweight Smart Wool socks. If it's a 1 nighter, I'll use the same socks. 2-3 nights, I'll carry an extra pair and swap half way through/mid trip. Sleep with socks off. Even with a pair of boots that were too narrow, never had any problems other than arches hurting occasionally. Never had feet pain until after I got early SEP'ed from the AF. Got stress fractures in my ankles and one knee because of a 1/4 leg discrepancy I didn't know about. The only time I've ever gotten blisters were when I started wearing sandals a couple years ago, but I think they were caused by being too loose.

Currently looking for a new pair of shoes. Went from hiking shoes to hiking boots back to hiking shoes. Debating if I want to test my luck with trail runners.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard