Crashing in Lee Vining

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tuskadero
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Crashing in Lee Vining

Post by Tuskadero »

Does anyone know if there is a campground or public area I can sleep close to town that can be walked to from the ESTA stop? I am looking for a place to sleep for a night in Lee Vining before I catch the shuttle in to Yosemite the next morning.

I would even pay someone to let me spread my bag out on their lawn for the night.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Crashing in Lee Vining

Post by maverick »

Hi Tsukadero

Welcome to HST!
Try http://jrabold.net/yosemite/campnlv.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

I have, on occasion when it was too dark, walked from the Lee Vining bus stop to the 120 junction (maybe 1/4 mile), and thrown my bag down up on the hill - lots of open range there, and continued on next morning.

Also, Doug Sr at the Portal writes: " Hi The Crest bus will now link with the YART service in Mammoth without the overnight stay. So You will be able to get on the Crest bus in Lone Pine and into Yosemite in one day, four days a week . This is a great service for the JMT hikers and many others traveling into the Sierra . Also the Southbound bus now takes you to the Train station in Lancaster 3 days a week , that gets you into LA the same day or links to the Greyhound at Mojave."

Thus you should be able to flag the bus down across from the Whoe Nellie, and be in the Valley 2 hours later, depending on the bus schedule.
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

markskor wrote: Thus you should be able to flag the bus down across from the Whoe Nellie, and be in the Valley 2 hours later, depending on the bus schedule.
I thought the bus always stopped at Whoa Nellie for a pee stop. No?
—B²
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

There is a little dirt road off Hwy 120, on the left, just up from Hwy 395. I think it goes to Horse Valley. A little past the gas station. Its a pinyon woodland on the north side, burned out years ago on the right side. Go up the little hill, and the dirt road veers to the left. Pull in there and no one will bug you. Couldn't be more than 2 miles from Lee Vining.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

If ya wants to crash in LV you can always post up for the night on the base ball field without worry. If you dont want to do that give me a shout and a heads up and you can post up in one of our yards or something. If staying in LV isn’t an issue go for the aqueduct road behind WN Deli. There are a couple of spur roads from there that lead to camping areas (this is the horse meadows road). There are camping spots all over the old 120 road just outside LV. Dont stress it....no one will care where you post up as long as you dont make a mess and aren’t obnoxious!