Spinning

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
wingding

Spinning

Post by wingding »

I've been going to spinning classes twice a week - it's helping me on my weekend hikes. I've also been doing more stretching, so I'm sore less often after a hike.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Um... presumably this isn't about making yarn out of wool. Please enlighten me!
wingding

spinning

Post by wingding »

Spinning - An intense stationary cycling workout.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I've been spinning 3 times a week since March 1st. I put on weight and wasn't snowboarding much (weather, lifts closed, etc), and I had a Ski-a-thon on April 1st. I got on the bike (on a trainer stand) and put in 152 miles that first month, averaging 16.0 - 16.9 mph. It paid off, and I did really well in the Ski-a-thon. The next day I was out on the slopes riding the top of the mountain til after closing. The two previous years my legs were thrashed the next day and could hardly walk. So the spinning helps.

Another thing I found out about it, is its helped me with the desert hiking. My bike is set up in the garage, with not much circulation, so it gets hot, and I'm drenched by the 3rd mile. I'm doing 10-20 mi depending on how much time I have. I've been hiking in high temps (105 deg one day) and doing fine. In the past I would almost pass out with heat.

Now on Mondays, my legs aren't sore from the weekends like in the past. Spinning is boring, but SnowDude set up a stereo next to the bike, and the results are great!

also lost the overhanging roll around the belt! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

I've just never been able to make myself use exersize machines... I've tried but I'd just get bored out of my mind! I started running "stadiums" at out local High School a few months ago, and I really like it. I also stretch afterwards (too many years of dance training not to stretch ;) ) Unfortunately with my work and family schedule, I've not been able to do any hiking yet this year to speak of... but I've got a day off this Thursday and it's reserved for either hiking or diving!! YOHOO!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Rosabella wrote:I've just never been able to make myself use exersize machines... I've tried but I'd just get bored out of my mind!
Same here . . . the bike was just sitting in the garage, and I had to do something and had only a month to get in shape. I finally found the front tire for the bike but its flat so I have to get it fixed. One of these days I'll take it off the trainer and take it on the road (Mammoth). But for now its in the garage, and I'm getting a good workout so it'll have to do for now. :D I have to work on stretching :(

23 miles tonight, 17.5 mph in 1:18:33. Listening to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Megadeth got me going! Couldn't do it without the music.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;