Foot Care & Socks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Foot Care & Socks

Post by hikerduane »

I gave up liner socks six years ago or more, fewer issues using Smartwool socks. I still get a big blister on the ball of my foot I guess is where it is. Nothing rubbing there using trail runners the last six years. Rinse one pair out each day and put the cleaner pair own. If I stop, I'll soak my feet for a few minutes.
Piece of cake.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I'm a C. I only wear the rag wool socks. I've had one blister in 30 years. I soak my feet in the creek or lake at lunch and lounging at the campsite the end of the day. I always sleep barefoot. I'm another who just doesn't like to wear socks while sleeping. My wife is just the opposite - she always wears light socks while sleeping.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I'm an "A" I guess, the only thing I do is clip my nails before a trip. I'm very forutate as far as feet go, I can wear just about anything and almost never get a blister. I try to make a point of wearing clean socks everyday but even if I wear a pair a couple days I don't get much of an odor. I have friends that if they even look at there hiking boots they start getting blisters and smelling.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I am quite anal about my feet. A thin liner and thick wool sock, and change several times per day. I carry a lot of socks. Every chance I stop and check my feet, re-don the socks and re-lace the boots.

I learned the hard way from my hot-shot crew days. Take care of your feet and you will have a better day. Ignore a little nagging hot spot on your foot and your whole week will be miserable.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

When on the trail, or off for that matter, I rotate 3 pairs of merino wool socks, OFTEN. My Danners wear like broken in right outta the box, and only continue to get more comfy. Good footwear + good socks = happy feet.

I tried liners and didnt like em. My feet felt like they were sliding around in my boots. I'd try em again, but my first experience wasnt good, so I gave up on em. I have a buddy who swears by em.

Bridgedale is my sock maker of choice.

My feet get hot and sweaty easily. So, I change socks at almost every stop. I keep safety pins on the back of my pack to hang my sweaty socks on for drying and airing. This is the key for me. I rarely get blisters anymore.

The occasional foot soak in a cold stream can be rejuvinating to tired feet.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Clubb

Glad Danners work for you. Every single pair I have tried rub me the wrong way and that is in the store. I keep wanting them to work but they don't for me.

AlmostThere

You understand exactly!

Is anyone else a fan of Rohner socks? They are kind of strange in that the wool terry is on the outside! But they work for me. I have bought them in the past from Sierra Trading post but they are becoming scarce. Bridgedale actually provide the best fit for me as their mediums go up to 9 1/2 shoe size. Most brands 91/2 is the bottom of the large size so they tend to be a little too long in the foot.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have some Rohners! They have worn to the point that they slowly sink into the shoes as I'm hiking - no elastic left in the sock to keep it up on my ankles. I use them for slippers around the house now. I liked the thicker on the bottom feature but have switched to Thorlos, REI brand for heavier wool socks, or Smartwool ala Costco brand.
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

Mike, I only get the made in the USA Danners. Most of their $200 + boots are USA made. I dont mess with the stuff made in China. Its' a lower price point and you can tell the difference.

Everyone's feet are different. Danners just happen to fit me like a glove.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Thorlos medium weight hikers combined with a pair of light weight Merrills--so far comfort perfection. Thorlos has an outlet about an hour from me. I love that place! Made in the USA(well made)! They have a sock for every activity. I have my reading socks on now.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I only get hot spots on occasion, but I'm religious about treating early. An ounce of prevention, ya know. I use the REI smartwool socks and some old Danner all leather boots I've had since the mid '80's. They're my favorite. I only bring two pair of socks, one smartwool for boots and one cotton for tennis shoes. I wash them about every three days or so to remove trail dust and bring the shape back. My feet don't sweat very easily.

After about 3 days, I usually trail pound in the smartwool and tennis shoes. The only time I ever had a problem with this was when I was exiting over Taboose Pass. I had to stop several times to get pebbles out of my shoes, then down lower, the hot sand filled the shoes, but I just moved along since I was close to the end.

I like to walk around barefoot at camp and while fishing, if I'm not working my way around the lake. In fact, when I'm not at work, I'm usually barefoot. I like to soak my feet in a lake or creek once I've settled in to camp and again in early evening before putting my tennis shoes on for the evening. Walking around barefoot is fine, but going to bed with dirty feet is no bueno.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.