What do you put in your GORP?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What do you put in your GORP?

Post by balzaccom »

We make up a bag of gorp for each day on the trail, more or less. And each one is a little different, so that we get lots of variety as we hike, even on a week-long trip.

The mix for each day always starts with M&Ms. Gotta have that chocolate that melts in your mouth, not in your pack. And the dark chocolate ones, please. Milk chocolate is chocolate lite.

Then we add an equal amount of nuts. Sometime walnuts, sometimes almond, cashews, or pecans. Each day is different.

Then we add an equal amount of dried fruit. Here again, variation is the rule. We love craisins, and use raisins, as well. We also have been know to chop up apricots, apples, bananas, and even ginger to add a little spice.

Shake the bag, seal it up, and move on to the next day. Let's see...this time with craisins, pecans, and ginger...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I take the candied ginger separately, as it also serves as medicine. Helps with nausea that comes with altitude sickness. Good for stomach aches and it doesn't need a prescription. Culturally acceptable to my Asian friends and relatives. Just what popo ordered.
Whiplash
Topix Novice

Post by Whiplash »

Plain M&Ms, Peanut M&Ms, and Almond M&Ms. I think I'm seeing a trend here.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

Rice crackers, wasabi peas, dried pineapple pieces, goldfish crackers. (all in addition to raisins and peanuts)
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

It varies.

I don't like to use peanuts. There are too heavy a protein and hit my stomach hard while hiking. For some reason I also do not like chocolate while hiking, although I like it other times.

Mixed dried fruit, mixed nuts (sans peanuts), whatever cereal strikes my fancy like Multigrain Cheerios or Honey Nut Cheerios. Sometimes some crackers like Triscuit, although they can make the mix taste too salty.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
kpherzog
Topix Newbie

Post by kpherzog »

My son-in-law introduced me to a new formula, apparantly a favorite in the Army Reserves:

1/2 Dry-roasted peanuts
1/2 Candy Corn

This sounds really wierd, but it is a real winner!

. . . Kurt
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

All the usual suspects...nuts, craisens, banana chips, M&M's, and dried cherries for a tangy flavor that meshes great with the sweetness of the M&M's and the saltyness of the nuts.
Semper Fi!
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bandito »

Peanuts, M&Ms, Raisins, Peanut Butter Chips
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Time to resurrect this topic. My wife went vegetarian a year ago and she buys the best stuff ever. I began mixing them together into what will be much of my gorp this year.

Dried White Mulberries
Dried Goji Berries
Craisins
Cashews
Almonds
Flax seed crisps
crushed, dried Kale
Then I crush up a bunch of Nature Valley Oats & Honey granola bars

Man, I could almost live on this stuff. I don't care much for peanuts and raisins
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
--<xx<
Topix Newbie

Post by --<xx< »

Nothing. I pack a bag of sunflower seeds, a bag of peanut M & M's, a bag of mixed nuts, a bag of almonds, a bag of dried apples and some dried cranberrys and mix what I want each day or the night before .