Water Bottles or Hydration Pack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Water Bottles or Hydration Pack?

Post by oldranger »

I have been using a blue 90 oz platy bladder for water around camp only. On the trail I use a dip and sip filter bottle or just dip my cup depending where I am. This year I purchased a 100 oz. clear platy bladder that weighs half as much as my old blue one. I'm going to add a widemouth nalgene liter bladder for mixing drinks in camp and to carry water if needed (water sources too far apart). In addition I'm planning on purchasing an Aquamira Frontier Pro filter which can be used as a straw or as a gravity filter. (eliminates the need for dip and sip) and May even put unfiltered water in the platy bag, hang the bag, and filter the water directly into the liter bottle as I need it. This would reduce the risk of exceeding the filter's capacity by filtering water not needed. So this year the only hard plastic bottle I plan on carrying is for 151.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am a camel, or so my kids say. I drink a lot in camp and only carry half a liter of water while hiking, sometimes none. (I weigh half to 2/3 of what most guys weigh so I guess proportionatly half a liter would be a bit less than a liter for a normal guy.) I use a wide mouth salad dressing bottle- it is flat like a whiskey flask so carries well in my pack pocket. I often drink directly out of the creeks. I really do not get very thirsty at all. I use Kaytiden chlorine tabs to treat water if needed. I use a 2.5 liter platypus for camp water.
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

I use a bottle and bladder in most situations. My MSR filter hooks up to wide mouth Nalgenes so I keep one of those on me. On the trail I like to have my bladder.

I gotta say, I sweat a lot, so I drink a lot of water. That said, having the ability to drink on the go is a convenience I relish. I'm a big fan of hydration bladders. Camelbak is the best in my opinion.

I just bought an Osprey Atmos 65 which is built with the Air Speed system. Basically theres a space between your back and the pack for ventilation. I bought the pack for the fit and feel. Well, in this space you can hang a bladder, and naturally I want to try and maximize the space in my pack. I hung one of the new Camelbak Antidotes in it. It is wider and flatter than the older Camelbak bladders, perfect for the space on my pack. Around the house, this setup feels really good with 30 lbs. I'm goin out tonight on a training hike with the dog...........