Are you a zombie?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Are you a zombie?

Post by rlown »

quentinc wrote: For me, socks are a much bigger problem. I take the same approach as for shirts, but usually wish I had rinsed them out every day (but I'm just too lazy to do it).
l love it when you remove your socks and they almost retain the shape of your foot. :)

Same deal.. two pair, rotate and clean. All synthetic.. dropped the wool outer there as well.

AT, still not convinced.. Good thing we all can get what works for us. Yes, I have wool stuff, even knickers for xc, as they were really comfortable at one time. For me, wool is great for really cold wet work. Not so much in July or Sept. just me. Everyone tests and tries stuff, and comes to an opinion.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I don't say anything unless I've experienced it first hand. There is a whole list of gear I wouldn't trust based on the number of times I've had to loan a filter or boil water for someone else.

I thought wool would be too hot for summer, turns out the light stuff they make now is excellent - you can hold it up to a light and almost see through it, yet it's durable and wicks well, and manages to be a little warm in shoulder seasons as well.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I use a very light crop top cotton undershirt (a girly thing - do not know if such is available for men) and wear it under my synthetic long sleeved hiking shirt. The undershirt does not count as insulation (the "cotton kills" statement only is true if you count on it for insulation). I wash it every day when I get to camp, take a dip in the creek, then put on fleece or wool. My husband simply hikes in regular cotton T-shirts. He washes it every night and if it is not dry by AM, so what - he just puts it on and soon dries as he warms up. Since I have to sleep in the tent next to him, I banned his synthetic shirts long ago! Now if I could just get him to stop snoring.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Now if I could just get him to stop snoring.
Good luck with that! My crew is generally 4 guys. 2 of us snore large. Yes, I'm one. I snore less at altitude, because I never sleep well anyway. Back to topic, a clean body leads to a better night's sleep.
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

Body Sensors by Terramar (wool/synthetic blend) baselayers rule!

Not stinky, very comfy
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

The only stink-free base layer I have that is synthetic is an ExOfficio short sleeve t-shirt that has the silver-impregnated threads. That is the only synthetic base layer that I will take backpacking. However, lately, wool is my base layer of choice. All of my wool base layers have proven to be stink free. I have found wool to be my best option, as it is cool in the heat, and warm in the cold, and it does not stink. I have some IceBreaker short sleeve t-shirts, and a SmartWool short sleeve t, as well as a long sleeve t with the zip front, and these have all performed well for multiple days without washing/rinsing. I have worn the same pair of merino wool socks for four days straight, without any funk - and yes, I put them to my nose for the funk test - result is pass, with flying colors. However, as Rlown said, yes those socks can stand on their own, without my feet in them, after about the second day.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I have a variety of synthetic shirts and none of them hold my stink. I bathe when I can, but its not something I find absolutely necessary, so a few hiking buds have told me to go for a swim. I don't take any dairy products, which may change how I smell. I do notice a dairy smell on other people. Perhaps milk breakdown components make stink stick.

I found that light weight or tropical gaiters help keep the dirt out of my boots and my socks stay much cleaner. I bought them for a trip on the Lost Coast and found they made such a difference that I use them most anywhere. Worth the extra few minutes they take to put on each morning.