Down, Fleece, Synthetic or Wool(OR)?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Down, Fleece, Synthetic or Wool(OR)?

Post by oldranger »

By the way my midsummer wool sweater is a pretty loose knit ragwool thrift store acquisition (about 20 years ago) so it is about the least expensive part of my go to gear. In the fall I use a heavier tighte knit sweater.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Rlown,

They really do work, no market hype.
The only smell they may have is after washing them, there may be a slight wet sheep
smell, but this is gone once the garment is dry.
They really wick well, and keep you warm even when wet.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah.. that's what i want to smell like on a wet hike.. a wet sheep :) . I totally understand the warm with wet, but synth is just as valuable there. I have a selection of woolies.. I just use them in winter and not in Summer. To each their own.

My primary bag is down. She gets protected at all costs. I have a -20 polarguard bag, which i love but no reason to carry that extra weight. Worked on the Ice of Lk Minnetonka, where I tested it, and then on a winter trip to Round Top out of Carson Pass. Not really into wearing down when fishing. Haven't found the need with the shirt/fleece/shell, even at 20 degrees.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Merino wool and down head to toe. Ibex wool long sleeve tee shirt with hood, Patagonia down vest AND Patagonia down sweater with hood. For me its never really summer above 10000 feet.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I wasn't aware they were all mutually exclusive.

I use fleece when a possibility of getting wet (i.e. paddling, rainy weather), down or synthetic fill during drier trips. Over the years I have accumulated quite an assortment of weather gear. Some is quite old, over 35 years, but still in good condition and use it when appropriate.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=