Are you a zombie?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Are you a zombie?

Post by sirlight »

...you sure smell like one!

I really like the cost, durability and coolness of synthetic shirts. They do have one major drawback and that is the stink. It seems like after only a few hours of hiking they start to smell. Has anybody had luck with the new "stink-free" shirts? Though expensive, maybe wool would might be a better option.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Are you a zombie?

Post by maverick »

Some companies are now offering poly-wool blends that offer the best properties
of both, and look interesting.
I have been wearing Ibex shirts as my base layer for several years now, and am very
happy with them, except for price and some minor piling early on, they have
preformed as advertised. http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An extra plus is they are made here in the US, if that matter to you.
I have some Icebreakers shirts that are made in New Zealand that I use for workout
and they are very good to. http://www.icebreaker.com/site/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Yup.....permanent stink. I don't mind, and I prefer the performance of synthetics in my shirts, and wool for pants.

A friend wears the silverthread fabrics, and he likes it, he says they do work, but after a season they start to stink up. I honestly don't know much about it though.

I am totally open to try a synthetic/wool blend, but being that you can get a synthetic longsleeve for 5$, I doubt I will ever make the switch.

That smell has good memories though, and after 5 minutes I don't smell it anymore.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

One of the young gear testers I associate with recommended Ice Breakers, she says they don't get stinky after numerous days of use. I have a few pieces so far, kinda expensive so I've only gotten a couple shirts, one for winter use and only one for the summer which I have yet to use it then as I have a few shirts treated with permethrin that I'm trying to use first and they should be more bug repellant. Another older guy from our crowd also spoke highly of Ice Breakers for winter use on snow trips.
Piece of cake.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I wash synthetics with white vinegar and detergent. Takes the majority of the funk out of them.

Six months ago I picked up a couple of Stoic merino wool short sleeve shirts - awesome shirts. Even when it's hot, they are comfy, and when it's cool they are just warm enough. No funk at all so far.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

sirlight wrote:...you sure smell like one!

I really like the cost, durability and coolness of synthetic shirts. They do have one major drawback and that is the stink. It seems like after only a few hours of hiking they start to smell. Has anybody had luck with the new "stink-free" shirts? Though expensive, maybe wool would might be a better option.
Umm. the stink is what your body gives off, and not the shirt. I do wear synthetic baseware, and when it stinks, it gets to go in the lake or stream. "stink-free" sounds like a marketing ploy to me. I carry a cotton shirt for most hiking. If I layer up either when it's cold or there are skeeters, the synth goes on first, then cotton, then everything else. If I think I stink (shirt tells), it gets washed, and me and then clean stuff goes on.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

For me the Arcteryx "Ether Crew" shirts are the bomb. They weigh next to nothing and when wet dry in minutes. Only draw back is the price. $50 for a T shirt is rather high but you look good. A trade off.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I generally hike in longsleeves to minimize exposure to the sun and minimize use of sunblock. Then, if it is hot, every time I pass a watersource I dip the arms and top two thirds of the shirt into the water. Almost as refreshing as a full dip and rinses out most of the stink on a regular basis. If I get to camp by 3 I can set up take a dip with my clothes on, wring out the shirt and by 6 or 7 it will be dry and ready to layer on as the evening cools. Since I started doing this several years ago I haven't noticed the build up of "stink" as in the past. Then again maybe my nose ain't what it used to be!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I don't expect to smell like the cologne section of a department store when I hike. I'm content with my $3.99 polyester Campmor t-shirts. If the trip is longer than 2 days, I'll bring an extra and, like Rlown, take turns rinsing them out in a stream or lake.

For me, socks are a much bigger problem. I take the same approach as for shirts, but usually wish I had rinsed them out every day (but I'm just too lazy to do it).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Stink free isn't marketing hype with wool, rlown. It's truth. You won't be odorless but it won't be nearly as funky as a synethetic.

some synthetics won't wash free of funk even if you rinse them a lot on the trail. Some will even hold onto the funk no matter what you wash it in, so there is ever a lingering light funk if you hold it up to your nose, and the minute you're sweating in it, the funk blossoms to full stench. Depends on the synthetic in question. Wool has come clean every time so far.