Water Bottles or Hydration Pack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Water Bottles or Hydration Pack?

Post by maverick »

Which do you prefer? I have all ways carried a water bottle, but I would be interested
in hearing from people who changed over from one to the other, and there
comparisons, and pro's and con's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Water Bottles or Hydration Pack?

Post by rlown »

both. The hydration pack stays in the pack during the hike. My Kelty has a nice lil' place for the hydration pack built in, which keeps it safe from puncture and close to my back up high. It can be re filled remotely with the filter pump. Then, I carry 2 extra poly's as well, usually empty, but useful for day hikes, fishing, and making cocktails at night. That doesn't count the lexan bottle with the 151 in it.

I spike the hydration pack with some electrolyte tabs as well.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

A wide mouth recycled plastic sport drink bottle and a little blue squishy cup (instead of the traditional Sierra cup) for dips into the feeder streams.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What size hydration pack Rlown? Do you have to work a lot to keep to clean it(inside), and
the feeder tube?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:What size hydration pack Rlown? Do you have to work a lot to keep to clean it(inside), and
the feeder tube?
70 oz camel back blue bladder and tube. when i get home, i fill it up with some water and a little clorox.. flush it, and then hang it out under the patio umbrella to dry before storage. the poly's go through the dishwasher and dry. Amazed at the poly's.. they're 14 years old and counting.

I don't fill the camelback to 70. I fill for what i need on a reasonable leg. Just easier to suck from the tube as I go.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I carry two large bottles on the outside of my pack and a third smaller regular 16oz water bottle in my pack for Crystal Lite type mixes around camp. I just fill then according to what I think I'll need. Most of the time it's just one big water bottle and the 16 ouncer filled with a Gatoraid mix.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Also in the both category - (3 liter hydration Platy & one nalgene)...
Like having a Crystal Lite container around camp.
BTW, I wrap about 30 feet of Duct Tape around the Nalgene - part of my Medical supplies - stays clean and accessible.
Mountainman who swims with trout
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I'm glad to see the old school still rocks. When I hike with groups EVERYONE has a hydration pack only, and they look at me and my water bottles like I'm some relic from the past ages. I'm also the only who doesn't have a water filter, since I either use iodine + C, or just skip treating altogether (another thing my hiking companions will never do).
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Quentinc writes -"I'm also the only who doesn't have a water filter"...

Me 2...do not carry one unless lower elevation hiking. In fact, for the last 25 years I have not treated my "High" Sierra water at all and never have gotten sick...(knock on wood). Drink smart!

Just thinking out loud here, with record breaking water/snow this year, (a giant Sierra douche as it were), and realizing that Giardia cysts do not overwinter...Well, HYOH.
Mountainman who swims with trout
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

As an old school in both age and backpacking philosophy, I also only carry water bottles; a quart nalgene stuck in the pack outer mesh pocket and a pint on my left pack strap for while hiking. When the pint gets low/empty, it's also time for a snack break where I refill the pint bottle from the quart bottle.

My feelings on filtering is that in places where there's lots of hiker and packer traffic, I use a filter. Off the beaten track, I don't. When I do, I use a Steripen. For years, I used a Pur, but they quit making the replacement cartridges so I got the Steripen and I've been happy with it. Off the beaten track, I usually don't fill the quart Nalgene since I just dip the pint bottle in the creek or lake.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com