PCT in So. Calif - Fobes to Antsell Rock

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wingding

PCT in So. Calif - Fobes to Antsell Rock

Post by wingding »

Yesterday I hiked from Fobes Trailhead (off 74 in Garner Valley) to Fobes Saddle and then north on the PCT past Spilter Peak, over Apache Peaks, and on to Antsell Rock. The weather was perfect along the Desert Divide (that's what this section of the PCT is called). The view was a bit overcast, but still nice. Here are some pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/1434385/1
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

I've been wanting to do this trail for a while; was actually thinking of doing it this weekend. I'll probably do it next weekend as prep. for the Telescope Peak hike. Hopefully I will get some clear views of the desert! How were the temps?
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by krudler »

Great pics Kathy!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks Krudler.

Trekker: I started out about 7:30 am from Fobes Trailhead and the weather was perfect - I think in the 60's most of the day and a breeze picked up about 10 am and kept me cool all day long along the ridge. I only ran into a couple small patches of snow along the PCT and the snow. There was no snow along the Sam Fink Trail (ridge north of Antsell) and the snow in the gully to the east of Antsell was easy to avoid or soft enough not to be a problem. I've gone south from Fobes before, but I had never hiked the section from Fobes to Spitler Peak; so now I've done the section of the PCT from Fuller Ridge to Warner Springs and most of the peaks along the way. I liked the Fobes Trail so much more than the Spitler Peak Trail - it's a much nicer way to get up to the PCT.

I think my hike was about 14 miles with 4700 feet gain including the side trips to Antsell Rock and Apache Peak. There are a lot more switchbacks along that section of the PCT than show on the map.