What do you put in your GORP?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

What do you put in your GORP?

Post by BSquared »

...besides "Good Old Raisins and Peanuts?"

I just got an e-mail from a dieting site about "exercise food," and they were suggesting almonds, raisins, ginger, and oatmeal (among other things). That sounded like a good recipe for gorp to me: toasted almonds, rasins, diced-up candied ginger, and I'm not sure what to do about the oatmeal. (It also sounded like an interesting recipe for a bar of some kind, and there are probably several out there that would fit the bill.)

Anyway, that got me to thinking: what do people who make their own gorp put in it? We usually use peanuts, raisins, M&Ms (gotta have chocolate, and chips melt), and various bits of chopped-up dried fruit, especially apricots (the really dry kind) and mangoes.

What do you put in yours?

PS: the e-mail also mentioned salmon and oysters as great exercise foods, but if it's all the same to you, I'll leave those out of the gorp, thank you! :rolleyes:
—B²
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: What do you put in your GORP?

Post by gary c. »

I usually buy my ingredients from Winco Foods. They have a really big bulk section with a lot of choices to pick from and just get whatever sounds good at the time. Most of the time I start with maple granola and work up from there. I always add some kind of nut, usually almonds. I'm not real big on raisons but I almost always add some kind of fruit like candied pinapple. Like you I have to have my chocolate so M&Ms are a must. I found out the hard way that the mini M&Ms are not a good choice. I thought that they would be perfect so I went pretty heavy with them and they were melted and messy before we even got to the trail head. I think it's because the shell is too thin on the mini's.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vandman »

Peanuts, raisins, almonds, cashews, walnuts, M&M's, dried pineapple, apricots, mangoes, papaya, cranberries, dates, and coconut shavings. I think I'm forgetting something. Mmmm, mmm.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The oatmeal got me thinking. I think I'll try adding a little Great Grains cereal to the mix. I have a love/hate relationship with M&M's. They're a nice little chocolate pazzaz, but get a bit messy half melted.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi B2

The oatmeal can be toasted, it adds fiber, and complex carbohydrates that burn slowly
and is a good source of fuel.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

maverick wrote:Hi B2

The oatmeal can be toasted, it adds fiber, and complex carbohydrates that burn slowly
and is a good source of fuel.
Then you just sort of throw it in with the rest of the gorp? Hmmm... I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!
—B²
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This will give you all kinds of idea's B2: http://www.amcsem.org/gorprec.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sirlight »

Don't really care for GORP at all. I will eat peanuts, nuts or almost any kind of dried fruit, but don't like them mixed. I guess they all end up mixed in the "end" don't they! :nod:
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Well before that, I think. ;) Oh, well, I guess it depends on which "end' you're talking about.
—B²
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I got a great laugh from this thread so far, which wasn't what I expected when clicking on it. Maverick's link is both hilarious and food for thought (so to speak). I just go to my local health good store with all the bulk bins and buy a bag each of the Oriental party mix, the Cajun mix, the chocolate-nut mix, and the nut mix. And then, as sirlight said, they all end up mixed at the end.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com