new backpack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: new backpack

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks Eric. That helps. I will be in SLO this weekend, so I will check the store out there that is listed.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Followup- anyone using the Granite Gear list, to visit a store, you might want to speak to someone first to make sure they still carry them. Mt. Air Sports in SLO no longer stocks them, because they were not selling acc. to the staff person.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

followup on my Gregory Whitney 95 repair story - they sent me a new pack. 2nd day air just in time for my April Fools Day Whitney trip, no charge. Not bad for a pack I bought on ebay for half price in early 2008 and have put through 4 Muir Trails since then.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Rich or anyone else who carries a Golite Odyssey, are the waist belts as small as I've read in some of the reviews? I'm carrying a 38" waist and it sounds like there belt may be too small for me. Also how well does a large Bearvault fit into one along with gear?

Thanks'
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

The Bearvault 500 fits fine. My waist is about 36", and there is still some room, so I don't think that would be a problem. The belts and straps on the Odyssey seem less substantial than older packs, but they have held up well for me...and I am not easy on equipment!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I have carried up to 48 pounds with no issues. That is probably about the upper limit. The Odyssey does have a support system/stays. It is not frameless, like the ultralight packs, so you can carry some weight, but not as much a a big expedition pack.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I pulled the trigger and ordered myself an Odyssey. I called Golite and they said it would be no problem returning it if it didn't fit, of course it would be a hassle. I'll keep my Osprey Aether for anytime I have a heavier load to carry. I figure it was worth the gamble at over 50% off. Golite is having a pretty good clearence sale for anyone interested.

Here is the link.
http://www.golite.com/Clearance.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Gary, thanks for posting that link. At that price, I (Mr. GoHeavy) am even willing to take a chance on it. My new theory is that all packs are uncomfortable, so maybe this won't be much worse than my 8 pound pack, and a heck of a lot lighter.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have been thinkung about splurging on an aether 70. Was wondering is I could get some opinions on class 3 scrambling with this pack. How is your range of movement?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Sparky, I can't give much of an opinion about scrambling with an Aether 70 because mine is an 85ltr and I don't have much off trail experience. It does seem to me that the Aethers curved wire frame would lend itself to maneuverability. I do want to give an update about my Golite Odyssey tho. I took it out for a day hike last weekend and am pretty happy with it so far. I put a heavy sleeping bag in the bottom and a BearVault 500 with a bunch of crap in it for weight along with 8 water bottles. I ended up with just over thirty pounds when I put it on. The waist belt was comfortable but I did have to adjust the shoulder straps several times. I think that may just be because it was the first time I carried it and I need to find what works. I think that the biggest problem I'm going to have is not overloading it, the volume is huge in it. At least I'll have plenty of room to fastpack my tent.
-- Lionel Terray