The Birds

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

The Birds

Post by oldranger »

Last week Kathy and I did a little loop ski of about 4.5 miles out of Mt. Bachelor. Our one stop was the SE end of Todd Lake where we encountered some feathered friends eager to share our snacks.
IMG_1668.jpg
Kathy and the Birds 2.jpg
kathy and the Birds 3.jpg
A bird on the hand.jpg
These birds are Canada Jays commonly called Camp Robbers. When I first moved to Bend I thought they were scruffy Clark's Nutcrackers but they don't make as much noise as Clarks nutcrackers (in fact the only audible sound from these was the soft flapping of their wings occasionally.) There are Clarks Nutcrackers up here as well but they are outnumbered by their northern relatives.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Birds

Post by maverick »

Cute little birds OR, but I really like the snow covered trees in the background to the left
of your hand in the first three pic's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: The Birds

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Very nice pics OR. The scruffy little guys are pretty cool looking if you ask me and thanks for the ID as that was the first thing I was gonna ask! I have to admit I'm a fan of the Clarks Nutcracker as well, but I'm not sure I would want one of the little rscals on my hand!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead