Santa Paula Peak, Los Padres NF

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Santa Paula Peak, Los Padres NF

Post by Snow Nymph »

Start of the hike, the mustard is covering a rutted dirt road

We got permission to go thru the private property :D

We soon discovered that an overgrown trail that has not been used has nasty little ticks! We stopped every few feet to brush off the ticks.

I had never seen so many at once! I was able to identify 3 different ticks. Also found a Black legged nymph, which is the one that transfers Lyme Disease.

Female dog tick

Male dog tick

Black Legged deer tick (transfers Lyme)

Poor guy was injured, and only his rattle reacted even though the rest of it was pretty much dead when I touched it with my trekking pole. It was wrapped around a branch (probably to hang on to something), blood on the top of branch (probably from the big bird that attacked it, feather on its back when zoomed in), and gone by the time we got back (poor guy!).

Almost to the summit

Santa Paula Peak (4911')

Beautiful flowers

One more little guy, cute!

Sunset from Mandalay Bay Embassy Suites, Oxnard (got a room there, Scott working in the area)

MORE PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Other-Moun ... 0620_cLUe3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Santa Paula Peak, Los Padres NF

Post by gary c. »

Graet pics, love the sunset shot.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cool TR Snowy, love the snake shots.
Did you know that Permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea
treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated
with permethrin, thought you might want to know just in case you have a cat as a pet.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

thanks!

I didn't know about about permethrin. I don't have a cat either, I don't spend enough time at home to keep pets.

I'm exploring new hiking trails, not sure if I like the tick infested area. :\
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I think I contracted Lyme disease just from looking at those pictures!

Does permethrin work? (I've heard DEET isn't that effective as a tick repellent.) I am an absolute tick magnet, so am always desperately looking for something to help.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have not had problems with ticks, but I all ways treat my clothes during the
season with permethrin, so I assume it works, though not all ways so well
with mosquito's.
Ever since that article way back in backpacking magazine about a back country
ranger getting Lyme, and becoming totally disabled, I am diligent about spraying
my clothes, and if going through extremely infested areas I tuck my pants into my
socks (which have also been treated), and keep my shirt tucked in.
http://www.backpacker.com/june_2006_ski ... ills/10607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not happy at all about ticks.. had one in the Yuba area on a backpack trip in 82' on my belly. I felt it and pulled it out.

When I picked up my Jack Russell, he had ticks in his toes (not allowed to treat pups until a certain age). Snowy, your post and pics freaked me out.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you Cori, I always love the flowers. On our small group bp trip to Pt. Reyes last weekend, saw a few flowers, orchids also, gorgeous. Glad to see you getting out.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Did not mean to freak anyone out with the pix. Its just something new to me, so I've been reading about it. On this trip Terry got a tick embedded in his abdomen, but when he pulled it out (with a tick spoon) the head got stuck. He went to ER the next day, but was not given antibiotics. Roger got a tick the day before, and had a red bump on his leg. The weekend before 2 of the 3 guys found ticks embedded on their bodies and went to ER. We did not spray that trip. Lyme is more likely in the eastern states, and the rate is lower in CA. Once the body is separated from the head, the tick can't "spit" or "vomit". I got a new bottle of Permethrin today, and will be spraying good on hikes in this area. We sprayed on Monday, and were tick free in the Point Mugu area.

Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Very nice TR Snowy (sans the Ticks :eek: ) and some nice wild flowers pics. Thanks!!. I have spent my fair share of time in the Los Padres and the Topotopas and most dont realize just how rugged and challenging the coastal mtns are. Ticks, biting black flies, snakes and then the ever present and charming poison oak. Gotta luv it ;)

I worked the oil fields out of Fillmore right out of high school and saw more snakes that summe rthan Ive seen the rest of my life combined. I went to CSUN in the mid 80's and we did a 2 week mapping project based out of Blue Point Camp above Lake Piru. Lots of bushwacking even though we tried to pick the course of less resistance. Our group was about 14 folk, and the 1st two to three hikers always were covered in ticks in short order in decreasing quantity. The later hikers were spared as most of the little biters dropped out of the brush onto the first hikers that passed by. I have some similar type pics that always freaks folks out (me as well). Im sure the other campers at Blue Point (closed now I think) thought we were an odd bunch (not that a group of geologists isnt already :) ), cuz each afternoon when we got back to camp, we paired or tripled up, stripped down to our skivies, and did tick searches combing through each others hair looking for stragglers. And we usually would find one or two that had evaded us throughout the day :eek: . Most of that group swore they would never return, but I guess I wasnt as bright as I have returned several times as Piru Creek has some great rainbow trout fishing in its interior. Funny what a fisherman will put up with!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead