What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by amigo »

I'm not from the U.S., but if the govt shuts down, I've read that National Parks will be closed. I believe all or most NP's have gates so assume they'll be closed.

What does it mean for National Forests? Will they be accessible for hiking?

What about wilderness backpacking starting in a NF and leading to a NP (e.g., starting in Inyo NF and backpacking into Yosemite)?

Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by maverick »

Hi Amigo

You will not be able to backpack since the offices will be closed down, and therefore
you cannot obtain a backpacking permit.
This info is from the Inyo NF office in Bishop, but hopefully the government will get
there act together, but don't hold your breath.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

The shutdown in 1995-96 lasted off and on through six weeks, but that was November-January. Let's hope this is resolved more rapidly, or even tonight.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I have not heard anyone say they would shut down the National Forest offices, such as the one in Bishop where so many of us pick up our permits. There may in fact be plans to do just that, but I have not heard definitively. That said, it is highly unlikely any shut down will extend beyond a few weeks.

In the unlikely event the budget impasse extends into the summer and does affect permit stations, you could still backpack, you just wouldn't be carrying the required wilderness permit. Who would fault you for that?

Put another way: I personally will be going into the backcountry this summer, come hell or high water -- ain't no way this hombre will let reactionary politicians back east spoil my plans, permit or no.

Mike
Last edited by Mike M. on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

+1.. permits secured already. at least the letter.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mike, I called, and was told that they will be shut down, again this is from the
Inyo NF office in Bishop, if Washington doesn't resolves the budget.
Hopefully this will be resolved, way before the season is in high gear, and hopefully
today as Kpeter wrote.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

quit it already. jeez.. they need the pay as well. and we're currently snowbound, so what is the deal?
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Maverick, thanks for the info.

It's like a giant game of chicken. Who will swerve first?

I can just see it -- a lawless backcountry! Tin foil in every firepit. Flocks of sheep, with their Basque shepherds, in every meadow. Boy Scout troops everywhere. And who would clear the trails of downed trees?

Mike
Tom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Tom »

Does a shutdown mean that there will be no one patrolling the backcountry and therefore no need to worry about permits? ...just wondering.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pretty sure we'll all be out there "patrolling"