Where to leave my car for 2 weeks in Mammoth?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Where to leave my car for 2 weeks in Mammoth?

Post by apeman45 »

I'm doing a 12 day hike in August from Onion Valley to Devils Postpile and need to leave my car in Mammoth. Any ideas? I'm going to catch the bus to Independence and and spend the night at the The Williamson motel. Is it true the owner will shuttle you to the trailhead if you stay there?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Where to leave my car for 2 weeks in Mammoth?

Post by oldranger »

There is parking near Mammoth Mt. Inn. Just a few yards from where the bus from the Post Pile will drop you off.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

oldranger wrote:There is parking near Mammoth Mt. Inn. Just a few yards from where the bus from the Post Pile will drop you off.

Mike
That is where we left our car for 9 days last summer.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

OK I know where you guys are talking about. I just wasn't sure you could leave a car there for a long time.

Mammoth has a great bus system for shuttle hikes. I've used YARTS before to get back to Yosemite from Mammoth and that was awesome. This will be my first time on the CREST bus. So we'll drop the vehicle off at the Mammoth Mtn Inn and take the free Mammoth bus back to the Mcdonalds in town for the Crest bus to Indeprndence. 18 bucks for that leg. Pretty good deal. Now I just have to secure a ride from Independence to the Onion Valley trailhead. I hitched there a couple years ago and it took an hour and a half to get a ride - mostly due to the low volume of traffic. Still several hikers passed me and I was alone so they had room. I will always pick up a hiker if I have room. I will have my daughter and her friend along this year so I prefer not to hitch hike.

Thanks for the info!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

You have to let them know you're leaving your car. Leave your key. I think they'll give you a permit for the window. We left ours for 30 days in 2001.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

Thanks for the tips. Can't wait for summer. Looks like a late spring in the Sierra this year.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

Who do you notify? The Mammoth Inn management?

I went on a shorter trip a few years back. We left a car there for 5 days. At the time, we didn't know that we were supposed to let anyone know. I guess we got lucky. The car was still there when we ent to retrieve it.