Solo trip late May- eastside route ideas sought.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

Ha! If you want "epic", take the trip Sierra Ledge Rat just proposed. THAT would be an epic trip for that time of year. You'd have to be in incredible shape and quite savvy in early season solo High Sierra travel. If so, you just might make it out alive! :D
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Like JimQ, I just found out my partner will be taking the kid to visit the in-laws, first week of June. Anyone have thoughts/guesses as to how Cottonwood Pass would be around then? I have some modest ice axe/crampon experience, but nowhere near the league a lot of you folks are in.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Over Memorial Day Weekend in 2003 we went over Cottonwood Pass, out to Big Whitney Meadow and then on to Rocky Basin Lakes. Cottonwood Pass was pretty much snowfree. We didn't hit much snow until when we got to the upper Rocky Basin Lakes. This year has been a heavy snow year, but I don't think the Southern Sierra got dumped on as bad as the northern Sierra. I hear that the road to Horseshoe Meadow wil be open soon if not already.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Kathy,
How did you find Rocky Basin Lakes to be? I might go that way on a July 4 five-day trip...or I might just hang out near Golden Trout Creek/S.Fork Kern west of Tunnel Meadow....haven't decided.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
wingding

Rocky Basin Lakes

Post by wingding »

Krudler: I found the Rocky Basin Lakes to be very pretty - especially with the snow around them.

I went back to look at my pictures and found that we did the trip over Memorial Day Weekend 2002, not 2003 - the years go fast.

Here are pictures from the trip:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/1431483/1/68008993

and one of the lakes:

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Kathy, thanks for the input. That's exactly the trip I had in mind. Not only are the Rocky Basin Lakes pretty, the Boreal Plateau is almost otherworldly -- sort of like being on the Moon, only with a great view of both the southern Sierra Crest and the Great Western Divide. Of course, there could be snow up there.

I heard that the snow level in the Whitney area is already up to 9,500, so you must be right - the south didn't get dumped on that hard this winter.
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

Wow! Nice trip Kathy. That one goes on my list.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
gdurkee
Founding Member

Snow Conditions, Boreal

Post by gdurkee »

Hi:

The April 27th snow survey is showing 77" of snow at Siberian Pass -- 158% of normal. All of the surveys above 8,000' are showing around 150% of normal. I don't think the melt at that elevation has even started, though 7,000 and below is clearing up quickly (that might be a result of warmer storms/rain to that elevation rather than warmer spring weather...).

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/COURSES.html

Might be a slog, but at least a fairly safe one.

Good luck.

George
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Great pics Kathy, thanks for the info :)

George, cool link - thanks for that!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

George, thanks for the info. Funny that the Whitney Portal store guy claimed the snow level was 9,500 feet. I may have to look for an alternative.