National Parks may be closed this weekend

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

National Parks may be closed this weekend

Post by tim »

According to today's news reports, Yosemite and other national parks/monuments will be "closed and locked up" if there is no budget deal by midnight on Friday:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/governme ... d=13309873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check before you plan a trip to the Sierra this weekend!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: National Parks may be closed this weekend

Post by hikerduane »

I called Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore this afternoon, if we make it in Friday night as planned, we can stay thru Saturday night as planned. I'm guessing the rest of the Parks will do likewise. Not Sierra related, but I gotta leave the mountains once in awhile.:) Five of us going from NorthCA Hiking, Yahoo group. Still a little life there, FB hasn't killed us off completely.
Piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Only good thing is that this is not happening during the peak season!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

It did once. I was riding up Deadman Canyon on a park service horse and at Noon we were notified that the government was shut down and that we were to cease working. I wondered if I should unsaddle the horse and take off my uniform and walk back to the station in my cowboy boots and skivies. I decided f it. And continued to do what I was doing. One of the many good things about being a BC ranger is that you are pretty much unsupervised. Turns out that I got paid so I felt that the government got its moneys worth.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

When I called, most weekends for a long stretch are filled already at I guess the more popular CG's in the Seashore. Peak season now for the coast unlike Yosemite etc.
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Probably because it's Abalone season now. Both Salmon and Ab opened ~April 1st.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

The backcountry campgrounds at Pt. Reyes are full on weekends. If you go on weekdays, it is usually easy to get a great site except during weeks like spring break. I live a few miles from Pt. Reyes and my wife and I go spontaneously on weekdays when weather and work make it possible. We always get a site and usually the specific site we want.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

All worked out for our trip, everyone plus a surprise made it. Not all sites were occupied either, at least at Sky Camp, Glen Camp was full I believe. Nice weather, hiked down to Wildcat and over to the falls south of there a mile and a half I think and back to Glen, long day. Five hour drive home, enjoyed it there.
Piece of cake.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Hikerduane,

Glad you had a good trip. I'm headed there in May for two nights (one night at Coast, one at Sky). It looks to be a really easy trip, but do you have any advice/tips? It will be our first time there. Thanks!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

PM sent, enjoy your trip. Even I can make my way back to the mountains from there, not the quickest way though. :) That wasn't there on Friday!
Piece of cake.