Backcountry Cleanliness

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by rlown »

The off-season is the only time some of us bathe.. :puke:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

Remind me that I don't want to drive to the TH with you! :\

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm a stickler for absolutely requiring everyone who goes with me to have a clean change of clothes stashed in the truck for the trip out.. and lots of fresh towels and water at the truck to freshen up before the drive. 6-8 hrs in a vehicle with 4 stink'n bodies doesn't work for me.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My income is fixed by teens. I dream of a new tent, backpack and sleeping bag, but I post about cold baths :crybaby:

Not only do I require a change of cloths to be left in the truck for the ride home, I require all trail clothes be bagged and put in the back of the truck. I have a red hiking tee shirt I like to use on trail. Red give that close feeling that adds distance to photos against blue skies. Last year, I couldn't go near the darn thing.
P8190362.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

jimr,

They say life begins, again, when the kids are gone and the dog dies.
To quote from Blazing Saddles, "its twu, its twu!"

Another quote I like is "Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional!" My wife is totally amused (most of the time) that I can't quite seem to act my age.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Yup, heard both of those before. I wish my wife would be amused by my child-like behaviors. It seems I'm at the age where half of the world thinks I'm an old man and the other half call me yung'un. :-({|=

They all think I need a bath.

"The only difference between men and boys is the size and price of their toys."

BTW, I stole your quote last night and used it on my wife during one of my "child-like" episodes :unibrow:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

when I am on a long trip I try to wash as often as the situation allows. I pack a good size kitchen sink to wash up and do laundry.

Proper methods of doing laundry is more difficult for me since it's not easy to get the smell out of the clothes. I bring 3 socks 3 shirts 3 underwear and 2 pants. Change socks, shirts and underwear every day and pants every 3 days. Using this method I have to do laundry every other day. I dip my clothes into the creek or lake 3 or 4 times for each item and ring them out to get dirt and salts out. Then I fill my kitchen sink and put a bunch of soap into it and once again take each item and dip them into the soapy water and ring it out so the soap gets soaked in well. then I leave everything soaking in the soap bath for an hour before hanging it all out to dry on a clothes line no rinsing necessary as the soap has a pleasant smell to it.

This method has given me the best results for staying half way fresh while in the back country for weeks at a time but it's still not as good as running clothes through a washing machine.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I pack a good size kitchen sink to wash up and do laundry.
:rolleyes:
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Lol maybe I should clarify. I pack a kitchen sink bigger then I have seen almost anyone else use in the backcountry. I think 5 gallons or more. :)

It may be bulky and heavy but it's usefulness out weighs the cons I think.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Lol maybe I should clarify. I pack a kitchen sink bigger then I have seen almost anyone else use in the backcountry. I think 5 gallons or more. :)

It may be bulky and heavy but it's usefulness out weighs the cons I think.
Umm. Again.. what do you really know about backpacking? Trail stuff would be good with mules carrying your stuff.

Ok, how bout this.. post a trail report with pics showing us what you've actually done.