Question about Forester Pass and Lake South America

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Question about Forester Pass and Lake South America

Post by Trailguru »

Funny that since I've originally posted this I still haven't had a chance to go to the upper Kern basin. 2008 turned out to be a bad year for me as far as hiking goes. But I already have several trips this year and we got people committed to it as well.

From what I can gather it seems that no matter what pass I choose (Mily's, Lucy's, Little Joe's or Harrison) they are all steep on the north side. Is that correct?

Also, since I'm going with a group with some who have limited off trail experience, what would be the easiest way down on the north side? We are going in late July so I'm hoping the snow wont' be as much of a obstacle as early in the season
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Unless there have been or will be significant climax type avalanches this year my guess is that your chances of no snow/ice on north side of passes as high and steep as these anytime this year will be between slim and none.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Trailguru wrote "From what I can gather it seems that no matter what pass I choose
(Mily's, Lucy's, Little Joe's or Harrison) they are all steep on the north side.
Is that correct?
Yes, all are steep, with Harrison being the easiest, but with snow/ice it is dangerous.

"Also, since I'm going with a group with some who have limited off trail experience
what would be the easiest way down on the north side? We are going in late July so
I'm hoping the snow wont' be as much of a obstacle as early in the season."
I would highly discourage you to try any of these passes with a bunch of inexperienced
folks!
Even Harrison can be uncomfortable for folks with experience, and very difficult
with snow/ice, you need to be efficient with an ice axe, and know of to self arrest.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Trailguru:

Because some in your group have limited off trail experience, and because of this year's extreme snowfall, I would recommend against any of these passes. They are challenging and steep, particularly scary going down from south to north. You can count on the presence of snow and ice in all of these passes this year in mid July. An alternative would be Milestone Pass and then Colby Pass. Another loop would be Forester Pass to Shepherd to Pass to Junction Pass, then back down Bubbs Creek.

Mike
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I actually found Harrison Pass to be pretty easy (and for point of reference, I did not find Lucy's Foot easy at all!). But I agree that with the snow this year it could be scary.