Diamox questions.

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
CI_Seawolf
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Diamox questions.

Post by CI_Seawolf »

I have suffered on many trips with altitude sickness (AMS). I am going to request a prescription of Diamox from my primary care doctor. I'm wondering if any other folks in here have used it and if they have any suggestions? I understand that you need more potassium when you use this medicine. Does anyone use supplemental dietary potassium (tablets)? Any other comments or suggestions would be welcome also.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Diamox questions.

Post by AlmostThere »

I can't take it myself, being allergic to sulfa. So I guess it's a good thing I've never had many symptoms of AMS.

Does acclimation not help you at all?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

CISW
My wife, tired of being wasted on her first three days at elevation has talked to her doc about diamox. On our next trip above 8,000 feet she will get some. However I think her only bp trip this summer will be in the Eagle Cap Wilderness and she will not get over 8,000 feet until 3 days into the trip. She has not had problems until about 8500 ft. After a week at 4,000 feet she spent 2 nights at Tuolume Meadows last summer before hiking up to Vogelsang, it wasn't until after her second night at Vogelsang that she felt good, of course that day we hiked over Vogelsang Pass then down to Merced Lake.

Talk to your doc. Those of us who don't have a problem or acclimate rapidly can't understand how altitude sickness can undermine ones enjoyment so thoroughly.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

I procured some Diamox for a trip up Mt. Whitney last summer. I had not been above 9,000 feet for many years, and in the past had suffered mildly at elevation (headache, mild nausea, trouble sleeping).

I took it pre-emptively, rather than waiting for symptoms. It worked great, in that I experienced absolutely no discomfort on the trip. I slept great, and had lots of energy, enough for extra-curricular peak-bagging after dragging 50 lbs up to Trail Camp at 11,000+ ft on day 2. To me, this substantiated the claim that Diamox helps you acclimate faster. Summited Whitney with no issues, other than a bit of queasiness during my time at the top.

Of course, I'll never know how my body would have reacted had I not taken Diamox, but I am a believer. Only side effects were increased frequency of urination, and of course it makes beer (and all carbonated beverages) taste horrible. The effect wears off 12-24 hours after stopping the meds.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Potassium tablets are virtually useless. Each tablet will supply about 1% of your RDA. Allegedly, the reason for this is to reduce the chance of people taking too much potassium (which can also be a problem), but the cynic in me says that it's so the pharma companies can make you buy lots and lots. Try bananas or potatoes instead. Probably dried would work as well, if you don't want to carry the weight.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Having suffered from AMS at altitudes above 10K ft my whole life, I got a prescription for Diamox earlier this year. Before taking it, I did some research and read the product info sheet. One thing worth noting is that Diamox does not replace (or even assist) proper acclimatization. What it does is alleviate the severity of AMS symptoms.

Since I live at sea level, proper acclimatizing has never been possible for me. I normally drive up to the trailhead on Friday, sleep that night in my truck, and hike in to where I base camp (10K-11K+ ft) the next day. My usual symptoms are a massive headache by the end of the day (that will not abate for at least 12 hrs) and trouble sleeping.

My experience with taking this medication so far has been as follows...

The headache still sets in, but is far less severe, and abates during the night. I still don't sleep soundly, but it's noticeably better than without the drug. Getting-up in the morning and preparing to tackle a summit is far better without a lingering headache. :)

There can be some side effects that can border on the unpleasant. These are the ones i've experienced...

Initially, there's a pronounced increase in urination. This seems to lessen after the first 48hrs. There is tingling to the fingers, toes, and face. And the one I just found out the hard way: they recommend that one stays out of direct sunlight :confused: . Being olive-skinned, I ignored this, and since I rarely need sunscreen, didn't use any. Big mistake! The peak I climbed required hours of snow travel... all in the direct sunlight. By the end of my three day trip, I had the worst sunburn on my face i've ever had. Next trip I bring SPF 30 sunscreen.

To sum it up, for me, even with the side effects, Diamox is worth taking.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Experience with Diamox: update....

During a trip last weekend, I used Diamox for the third time. On this occasion, it worked perfectly. I had no AMS symptoms at all. I can only speculate as to why it was better this time. One difference was increasing my hydration... made sure to drink over 100oz of water (and Gatorade) a day. It's also possible that after doing a few three day Sierra trips in the last three months (along with some snow climbing and snowshoeing during winter/spring in the local mountains), maybe some acclimation is occurring? Whatever it may be, not having altitude sickness for a change is great. :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Acclimation doesn't work that way - each trip you start over again when you go back down to low elevation.

You can go into the mountains 1,000 times and have symptoms once. Or not at all. Some people have them often, some experience them each time.... It's unpredictable.

Hydration helps a lot - I'm starting to see in Yosemite literature and on signs, "drink a liter every two hours while you're hiking." That sounds about right to me.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Diamox questions.

Post by J ney »

artrock23 wrote:Experience with Diamox: update....

I had no AMS symptoms at all. I can only speculate as to why it was better this time.
Probably a combination of things you listed... But instead of being acclimatized, you're overall fitness level was increased. A lot of the symptoms can also be psychosomatic... And your comfort-level could also play a huge factor.
Regardless... A good thing :-)
takotruckin
Topix Acquainted

Post by takotruckin »

AlmostThere wrote:Acclimation doesn't work that way - each trip you start over again when you go back down to low elevation.
I have not found that to be true. I usually get a little sick my first 1 or 2 weekend trips of the year (over 7 or 8k), and then I am fine the rest of the summer.