what do you think of the tents with the plastic clips?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

what do you think of the tents with the plastic clips?

Post by rlown »

personally, they suck.. I like sleeved tents with aluminum poles.. the less plastic the better. I was looking at some of the braces in OR's tent, and i just saw failure waiting to happen. The fly on my tent had plastic clips, and a couple broke, so I just "boy scout" it with a removable knot. oh, btw, i don't do trekking poles either.

I'm looking for a 3rd tent. I really like the kelty V2 but they don't make them anymore.

Any Ideas? I want a two side entry, 2 person, on the light weight side, 3 season..with a fly.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: what do you think of the tents with the plastic clips?

Post by oldranger »

Tarptent double rainbow. Should be just about big enough for you. And has a sleeve. As for the clips, they are much stronger than the funky mosquito netting Big Agnes uses. Also no big deal if a clip or two breaks. Won't affect the fly which is on the outside of the frame.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Russ;
I have a few more than two tents, and the majority have plastic clips, none of which have been any problem. In fact, the car camping tent that I use has both the plastic clips on the side, and the mesh sleeve for the poles crossing the top - it has been in use for many days since 2002, and is still going strong; through sun and wind and rain and snow.
Tell me what kind of tent you are looking for, and maybe I might have something in which you would be interested. PM if necessary.
Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Could you replace the plastic clips with those little key-chain caribiners? Seems easier than tying knots. I agree that plastic is a problem. Not that it would break under normal use, but I do not necessarily use my tent "normally". Normal use does not include falling on your tent, which I have done and bent a pole. Normal use does not include stepping on a stupid black clip that my old eyes cannot see, which I have done many times half awake in the morning taking down the tent. I would also think that a few stress points vs a smooth sleeve would put more stress on the tent poles. But, I think we are stuck with them. Most tents now come that way. Maybe they are making everything else on the tent light weight (and less durable) so that they figure the entire tent will break before the clips break. We consumers who insist on yet lighter tents at lower costs are really driving this trend. My TarpTent has a sleeve, but it is really small so it is a bit of a pain to thread the pole through the sleeve. Our new Mountain Hardware tent also has stupid plastic clips to hook the tent fly to the tent, instead of simple gromets like they used to. I am waiting to see how long it takes for me to accidently step on one of these and break it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Another vote for the Rainbow (though I have experience with the Rainbow Single), a
good/reliable tent, and comes with the optional breathable liners that should
help with any condensation issues.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah.. I've been looking at the double rainbow for a year now, just had no reason to pull the trigger yet. probably will. I was also watching the tarptent discussion. condensation doesn't really bother me much, so, i've got that going for me. The fewer plastic clips the better.

Thanks, guys..
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Cool thing about the double Rainbow is that you can keep both vestibules open when the weather is good. I'd get one for kathy and I but it is just too narrow so I'm about ready to spring for the Lunar Duo.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Only thing I have issue with is the flimsy zippers on the netting, I need to order
a new one myself.
I will see if I can get Henry to put on a more sturdy zipper, at an up charge of coarse.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

have you tried silicone spray after cleaning the zippers? just wondering. I have a tent with flimsy zips, but that's after 28 years.. the spray seemed to have helped.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I just called Henry, and they do not upgrade zippers, but the angle of the door
have changed since I bought mine, and the netting should stay more taunt.
So I have a new Rainbow on the way.
Rlown wrote "have you tried silicone spray after cleaning the zippers?" No I
have not, but that just may work, thanks.