Question about Forester Pass and Lake South America

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Question about Forester Pass and Lake South America

Post by Buck Forester »

I think I've got more than just my image flipped, ha!
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
obxcola
Topix Novice

Post by obxcola »

I've been researching routes in that area I believe this is a route over the King/Kern divide That I've only seen labelled as "The Chute". It is between Millys Foot and Lucys Foot right where that ridge makes a 90 degree turn. I guess it's not really in the traditional sense a "pass" since it is near the highpoint of the ridge between Generva and Erickson rather than a low point.

Here's a link to another photo I found on the web of this route. You'll notice how closely it matches Buck Forester's photo. The trip photo sequence includes about 20 shots of the groups descent along this chute.

Anyone have any knowledge about this? I've seen references that it may be the "safest" way to cross the divide.

http://www.scaruffi.com/monument/hikes10/miles314.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
obxcola
Topix Novice

Post by obxcola »

Lake Reflection-lg.jpg
I see that the reversal of Buck's photo was discovered years ago! Still seems perfect for April 1st.

I've reversed it back and matched it with a couple of photos that actually include the same rocks; so the location is the same. Hopefully these can be attached.

So anyone been down this chute?

Fingers crossed!
Lake Reflection-lg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
obxcola
Topix Novice

Little Joe Pass

Post by obxcola »

Further research indicates this is likely the pass referred to by Bill Finch as "Little Joe Pass"
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I went up the north side of Harrison Pass with a fairly heavy pack, and in tennis shoes with superfeet inserts. It took maybe 2 hours to get up. This was at a time that I had some foot problems and the tennis shoes were the only shoes that I could tolerate. Even with poor footgear, I got up. I had an ice axe which I used a lot- I would plant the axe deep and then haul myself up, repeat - until I got to the top! It is a bit miserable but one step at a time you get there. The only concern I would have would be if there still is snow all the way across late season when the snow is hard or ice. In that case it would be dangerous. Early snow probably would be soft and snow that you can kick a good step, particularly if it has suncups, would be quite easy. You would proably want to do it mid-day. But it is steep enough that you I would want an ice axe and be confident in self arrest. When I did it, there were only a few easily avoided patches of snow. I would say that the photos above of the other options look harder to me. The trail from East Lake to the base of Harrison Pass is partially wiped out by rockfall.
snowgoat
Topix Newbie

Post by snowgoat »

obxcola- am very interested in "the chute" you're talking about. Ive heard it called class 2 and the easiest route over the divide. From the shots ive seen it looks long and loose though.
Hoping to do a week in Upper Kern and come back over one of the high passes. There's a couple of intermediates in our group and this chute may be more comfortable for them.
Anyone out there familiar with this route (Little Joe Pass)?
obxcola
Topix Novice

Post by obxcola »

Follow this link to look at photos all the way down the chute: http://www.scaruffi.com/monument/hikes10/gwdkk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look all that loose to me as these things go.

the photos of this route begin about 2/3rd down the page below a full screen panorama labelled:
"Great Western Divide to Milly's Pass"

Nice photos too by the way.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The following comment does not apply to the pics referred to here. Beware of some of scaruffi's photo labels. I have seen several over at least 2 different trips that incorrectly identify the scene in the photo. None-the-less the guy has been around and his pics do help you get the lay of the land.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Having hiked (climbed?) down Lucy's Foot pass I can say I would rather have hiked up it. Going down was a bit scary and it certainly does have a lot of talas below it.
snowgoat
Topix Newbie

Post by snowgoat »

Thanks for the link.
You're right- it doesnt look too loose or steep. Funny how the perspective changes though in the pics looking back up. It looks almost vertical, but is really a long gradual slope.
Am leaning towards trying it. Hope snow/ice wont be an issue by Aug. 13-22.