Bearikade or Ursack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
THF2
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Bearikade or Ursack

Post by THF2 »

I was just doing some research and came across this thread. A little older, but still very relevant.

I'm heading out on a PCT thru-hike next month, and have my Sierra bear canister, and also have a cuben fiber food bag. I just wanted a little something tougher for those non-canister sections, and the Ursack seems like the obvious choice....anyone hear of any new regualtions with the Ursack?

Dug
http://thf2.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I took the chain/screw off my Bearikades. We have 2 Expeditions for longer trips and a Weekender for shorter trips. Love the Bearikade!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

rlown- I am glad there is no uniform state-wide poilcy. Bear cannisters should only be required where they are actually needed. Although expensive, I have solved this problem by having both a Ursack and Bearikade. Sometimes I use one, sometimes the other, and sometimes both! I draw the line at carrying TWO cannisters- on very long trips I put excess food and bulky food and smelly non-food items in the Ursack. Wouldn't it be great if there were "bear can pick up and drop off" stations along trails. You come to a bear can area - swipe your credit card (on a solar powered reader), out pops a bear can (like a big vending machine), you use it, when out of the area- drop the can in a slot, swipe your card and go on your way. (I know there are lots of practical problems with this concept, but you get the idea).

The non-uniform policy that I find annoying is that regulations are "dropped" or ignored for thru-hikers. If a can is needed, it is needed by everyone!

I would also like to see a lot more research happening on inventing a better bear-proof container. There sure is a lack of choice right now and all are expensive because the development and testing is so difficult for small manufacturers. Certainly some bright person could figure out something better than the rigid, heavy, hard-sided container concept.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

On another board it was discovered that some bear canisters, including Bearikade, were not on an approved list. Bearikades response was (3/31/2011)

" I'm happy to say that our demand is very heavy and we do not have staff to keep track of each and every ad hoc committee creating test standards. There is no coordinated NPS, US Fish & Wildlife, US Forest Service effort to qualify portable food canisters. Two ad hoc committees have been active for a number of years: Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group and IGBC. We are approved by SIBBG. This group uses the very machines built by IGBC for drop testing. They follow this test by exposure to 950 lb. Grizzly Bears. Finally they use Black Bears and if the candidate canister passes all of these tests, they are allowed into the field for a one year trial. SIBBG and IGBC should work out a reciprocity agreement since they share identical criteria.

"We are enjoying our 13th season without loss of food to any wild animal. Bearikades are made in custom sizes from 8" tall to 18" tall to suit specific needs of our backpacking population. All are 9" in diameter to prevent bears from getting their jaws around the cylinder. We cut lengths in 1/8" tolerances and so the variety is virtually infinite. We have no plans for further testing of the Bearikades which have a sterling field record all over North America and the Northern Coast of Greenland. "

Allen DeForrest
Wild Ideas, LLC
Managing Member
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Ursack lost in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday: "Mill Valley man battles parks officials over his bear-resistant container"

http://www.marinij.com/business/ci_1803 ... arinij.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com