Lamarck Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Lamarck Col

Post by whrdafamI? »

Looking for someone who is going over the Col and getting back home prior to Aug. 3rd, 2011. Need a snow report and if you had any problems getting over. Thanks in advance!
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Re: Lamarck Col

Post by East Side Hiker »

I'm going over Lamark Col on Aug 9 or 10, and then on to the Ionian Basin. Return over Wanda Pass and through McGee Lakes.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I wont be going over Lamarack, but I'll be nearby and will be going over Piute 7/23, so I should be able to give at least a regional snow report for the north side of the Glacier Divide. Thats if it ever stops snowing. ;)
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I went up Lamark Col in a very high snow year (early August) and it was fully snow covered (I had an ice axe because I was also doing some climbing but trekking poles would have worked too). The snow softened after a few hours of sunlight - pretty early since it faces east. Two years ago I came down Lamark Col's northeast side when it was partially melted and late season (mid Sept) blue ice and I only had trekking poles. I thought it was a lot harder - talus covered with ball-bearing sand between icy spots. This is a very well used route for climbers, so unless you are the first person over, there will be a well worn path throught the snow plus by mid season there are suncups that really help.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

WD, for sure on the sun cups. Last year when we went over it was exactly that way. A friend of mine I grew up with came down from Bend, Ore. and we teamed up and did over the Col down to the JMT and back out by way of Paiute Pass. Awesom route for sure. This year I plan to go left at the JMT and go back by way of South Lake. My friend won't be joining me this year as he is doing the JMT with a young lady that we met up there last year.

East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

The strategy if conditions are bad is this - hang at the bottom of the snow field until a ground passes you. Then get behind them and follow them. Makes to going easier and safer, plus you get to see the mistakes they make, or the areas they have problems with.

I did it once going over over Forester Pass - south to north. I waited a couple hours one morning, and a group of toughs passed. I fell right in behind them and cruised over the pass in their wake.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Just bumping this back up.

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Bump Bump

paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Having just come over Lamarck col on Wednesday - unfortunately in extremely high wind - I can say that the last plateau is already clear of snow and the west side is about half rock, half snow. Still lots of snow on the east side down to North Lake campground, but melting fast. So I expect by august it will be no problem at all, especially since you'll have a deep track left by all who have been over prior to that time.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Thankyou Paul, I really appreciate the TR.