What is your typical day like?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: What is your typical day like?

Post by Troutdog 59 »

It depends on just what day one looks at with most of my trips. My main objective when packing is fishing so like others have said, the 1st day is usually longer in miles in an attempt to get in to the fishing areas. Not likely the best approach as I also live near sea level (~350'), my pack is at its heaviest, and Im not acclimated, but thats the typical approach to day one. I like to start early day one and try to set camp by early afternoon, but it can vary depending upon our arrival time and who is along.

After that mornings are more relaxed. I typically am one of the early risers. I'll head out and fish a bit or just sit back and boil water for coffee and enjoy the solitude. My kids and companions typically start moving around a tad later,but thats fine. No rush.

Some trips we hike every day, but typically only 4 to 6 miles depending upon terrain, weather, etc. In this scenario, I like to get to our general camp area early enough to scout out a good camp and with enough time to explore and fish. I either eat way before it gets dark, but more likely will eat after sundown as I like to fish the fading rays of light. On others we may hike a bit more miles to get into a certain area, but then will layover a day or two to explore lakes and streams either in the same basin or in ones nearby.

As GB said, I also tend hike a fairly good distance on the last day of a trip, although I dont typically plan it that way. It just happens. Sometimes we come out a day early, and other times its the result of not wanting to leave a particular lake due to good fishing, so the last couple of days involve some miles.

I do know one thing, I'm not sure I want to hike with some of you masochists :unibrow: :wink: , especially you GB :confused: :p Do you channel mountain goats when you hike? :lol: All pride aside, I have no business hiking with anyone who calls Lamarack Col a "mellow" day one :eek: :eek: :eek: Just kidding of course, but I did that hike some 26 years ago when I was half my current age and "mellow" wasnt the first word that came to mind :nod:
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A good subject. Lets us know which members are more or less compatible to each of our styles. Generally the longer a person backpacks, the more they are likely to focus on specific styles and activities and as a result tend to become less compatible to the generalist. I'm likely one of the most extreme here.

A lot of backpackers that go as groups have rather similar easy schedules, breakfast early morning, chores, packup, hike from mid morning to late afternoon, find then make camp, make dinner, and throw logs in the fire. Day after day after day. If I went backpacking with a large group of strangers that shared gear or transportation, I would conform to whatever also. But for me that has not happened for decades. When I have met others in the backcountry it is usually totally independently linking up at a given destination on a given day. And be free to join in as much or as little as I wish to.

Instead I tend to backpack solo, or with a few others, or occasionally as many as a half dozen I personally know and as a rule each person is independently geared so they can decide to part ways if necessary or desired. I am usually the main planner of even the group trips and ask that every person make input pre-trip and buy into the agreed upon plan. That doesn't mean there isn't flexibility but rather there are limits as to what is changeable and what is not. My trips are primarily built around photography goals and that means at times being at various places at definite times of day and keeping an itinerary that allows that. Often flexibility is built in with dependencies on weather and conditions found.

A question like, "What is your typical day like?", assumes one has typical days and for many backpackers per above that will tend to be true. For this person, I would need to break it down into several categories below and then I am really just getting started. First I would limit my style to that of a semi base camper that carries a very heavy pack that limits both mileage and uphill climbing. A base camper hikes a day or three to a destination zone then camps in one place a few days before hiking out. Horse packing is often that type of base camping. A semi base camper hikes a day or three to a destination zone often a lake basin then camps in that zone a few days where they may move camps short distances that hardly impacts a day's activities.

Major backpacking days without significant photography or fishing. Sometimes strenuous days where the goal is to reach the next destination zone. Often the first and last day on a trip to reach or exit the promised land.

Camp moving days mid trip that start hiking early morning when there is no worthwhile morning photography.

Camp moving days mid trip that start hiking mid morning when there is worthwhile early morning photography.

Camp moving days mid trip that start hiking mid day after a full morning of photography and or fishing.

Camp moving days mid trip that start hiking late afternoon after a near full day of activities.

Base camp layover days with modest dayhiking near camp.

Base camp layover days with strenuous dayhiking like climbing a peak or ridge or going several miles.

Base camp days with dawn headlight hiking.

Base camp days with late day into dusk headlamp hiking.

Base camp days where I plan to get some fishing in with others in between alot of photography.

Base camp days where I plan to get a little bit of photography in between much fishing.

Days where early morning photography is most important like the lake basins of the Ritter Range and the afternoon is mediocre.

Places where early morning photography is mediocre like Dusy Basin and late afternoon is important.

Places where there is some good photography both early and late in a day like Mattie Lake.

Days with serious NIGHT hiking.

-------------------------
Those I hike with, if there is not a reason not to, tend to wake at dawn, rise, pack up, and start moving down a route. Even at home my breakfast is quick and simple: an unfrosted cinamon brown sugar poptart and 1/4 glass milk. But we bring lots of food, snacks, and enjoy eating. Even on layover days we rarely are still sleeping when the sun rises. I do alot of exploring when there isn't something specifically of interest at all times of day through mid afternoon. Likewise we are usually in our bags by 9pm without any campfires. Our main meals are often midday after morning photography and fishing are over and we have time to organize and or fix gear, talk, plan, jump in a lake, and nap. In the evening we are often dragging into camp from whatever late afternoon adventure with headlamps, and then make a modest solo easy to cook dinner before retiring.
Last edited by SSSdave on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

On a good day I wont think about anything. Nothin'. Blank mind. It feels so good to liberate the mind from thought. A good day will bring me something new, something I have never seen before. A good day I will walk all day for only the simple goal of seeing what is on the other side of that ridge.

Most times I plan a route, sometimes I don't, sometimes I deviate. Usually I am up or down with the sun, sometimes I stay up late staring at the stars or glowing granite, sometimes I sleep in. I don't worry about deadlines, as long as I get back to work on time.

Camp for me is just a sheltered place with water. But it is sure nice when it has views. I wait until I am sure I am not goign to move on before I set up. Many times I have blown my load early, only to be reenergized after dinner, but stuck with everything unpacked. Now I am just patient and wait.

I keep clean when I can. I love jumping into ice cold water. It makes you feel so damn alive, so crisp. I for sure wash socks daily as I only bring one spare pair, and wash everything else when I can.

I rarely will bring a book, I'll take some photos or listen to mp3 player, but usually it is just me out there just looking at things :)

I am not a fast hiker, but I am relentless. On trail or off, I just go and keep at it. I stop when its beautiful.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Most trips over the past couple seasons have been solo. Not that I don't like to hike with others, but it's just hard to get people to commit. Also, my typical day has changed a bit since I started fishing.

I am in fact a bit embarrassed to admit it but I really don't care for camping that much. I only camp so I can see (and fish) remote places that are further in than is reasonable as a day hike.

My day usually begins at dawn or just before. The second I get out of my bag, I get dressed for the day. Before doing anything else, I pack up my bag, pad and tent. Then it's a quick breakfast of cold grape nuts or granola and usually some coffee.

I will sometimes do a little fishing in the morning if I had success the previous evening. No more than an hour of fishing in the morning. Then it's finish packing my gear, apply some sunscreen and hit the trail.

The distance I cover each day will depend upon the terrain. In general, on days where I will be fishing at the destination, I will aim for about 5 to 6 hours of hiking. On non-fishing days, it's 7 to 8 hours. I never do any layover days. Usually I break about every couple hours for a snack and have lunch sometime around afternoon. If I am fishing near camp, I prefer to make camp no later than a few hours before sunset. After making camp, it's usually a quick swim or some fishing.

In the past I have brought a large variety of different things for dinner. On most trips all I usually want it ramen. On the past few backpacking trips about half of the dinners I bring are ramen. I will sometimes have fish for dinner too. I seldom make a campfire unless it is really cold outside or my hiking companions want one.

It's into the sleeping bag at sunset or soon after. Funny how your life tends to be based on the clock when at home. Once I am out in mother nature's domain, "she" makes most of the decisions, and her rhythmus mostly decide my pace. I don't even bother to bring a watch anymore. If I want to know what "time" it is, I just look up at the sky. I stop when I am tired, eat when I am hungry and drink when thirsty.
Whiplash
Topix Novice

Post by Whiplash »

I tend to start early each morning, usually up by 7:00 and on the trail by 7:30-7:45. I usually have a couple of breakfast bars first thing in the morning while breaking camp and packing up. I like to get an hour or so down the trail before I stop and have my real breakfast, which usually consists of granola cereal with blueberries and Nido milk.
Mileage is very similar to Nancy's, but occasionally I'll knock out a 15-16 miler.
I like to stop every 1 1/2 hours for about a 10-15 minute break. This allows me a chance to snack and to hydrate. I don't take a real lunch break very often.
I like to stop around 4:00-5:00 each evening. After finding a place to set up my shelter, I'll have dinner and then make any journal entries that I have left to make.