new backpack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: new backpack

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I bought the Golight Quest (2 pounds 13 oz) last year and really like it. I think it is similar. It is a woman-specific pack, the first I have had. It has the same high quality suspension as the larger capacity pack (sorry cannot remember the name.) As for old external frame packs, I bought a Kelty pack (Tioga I think) from REI at the "garage sale" for $20 and ditched the packbag, hipbelt and shoulder straps and replaced them with lighter ones. Then I sewed my own packbag out of old stuff sacks. I made a strap system on the suspension bar that specifically fits my bear can. This is really a prototype and I will sew a bag out of better material when I get all the bugs worked out. Total weight = 3.5 pounds. And it is a real load carrier. I happen to like external frames.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here is a photo of my home-made pack.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

WD, do you have a picture of the frame side?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here is a photo of the back with my old prototype bag. The first prototype I made a bag from an old REI raincover - it was too small so I later made a bigger bag from stuff sacks. I had thinner old straps and took the load lifters off the heavy Kelty straps and sewed them on. The new frames now are designed to attach with the load lifters. The mesh backpad is from another old pack. The hipbelt is an older one. I think it is a Jansport. Anyway, the point is that the frame itself is not that heavy - it is all the other junk that adds up weight. With a few adjustments, you can mix and match with other brand's shoulder straps and hip belts. It is getting harder to buy parts for external frame packs.

I used the pack shown on the last post on an 11-day trip and then a 5-day trip in the Wind River Mountains. It did quite well. The green nylon bands that I thought I would use to attach the Crocks did not work as planned.

The back of Prototype 1 - old 1968 Kelty framed.

Putting the extender bar on backwards made an indentation for the bear cannister so that it could be closer to my back. The cords and strap hanging down are for the bear can. I am short enough that the bear can does not hit my head - I think a taller person's head would hit the can.

I also have an old 1968 Kelty Frame that I use with a Granite Gear Virga (1 pound). I simply put the Virg on the pack as if the pack were a person. Then in camp I take the Virga off and use it as a day-pack. This was my pack that I used for climbing. I needed the external frame to carry all the climbing gear and rope and it was handy to not have to take in an extra day pack.

Another very old fashioned way to use an external frame is to simply lash on three zip bags using sleeping bag straps. One bag is sleeping pad and bag, one clothes and tent, the other food and cook gear.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

So, this thread was started back in 2009 Markskor, what pack did you end up
getting, how is it working out for you?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

WD wrote:
Another very old fashioned way to use an external frame is to simply lash on three zip bags using sleeping bag straps. One bag is sleeping pad and bag, one clothes and tent, the other food and cook gear
http://www.luxurylite.com/radlitepackindex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see this as a similar concept, but somehow your Kelty solution seems more appropriate.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Flux wrote:Hey Clubb,

I am looking at a Granite Gear Escape AC60. Hearing good things about the pack and it seems like a well thought out lightweight deal that runs about 200 bucks and 3 lbs. If the Regular size fits me well, it will be my lightweight setup pack. Unless something else comes up.....
I too am looking at the Granite Gear Escape AC60, but only online. Did you ever buy it, and try it out? I have a GoLite Odyssey which is the larger version of the Quest that Wandering Daisy mentioned. It weighs 3 pounds, 8 ounces, and has been a good pack. But I could save about 9 ounces, with the Escape60, and I think that pack might work for all but the longest trips I take. One thing that appeals to me is the feature the Escape60 has to be able to remove the lid and use it for a fanny pack. If that was serviceable enough for a minimalist fishing pack in the back country, I could leave the heavy fishing fanny pack at home when I wanted and shave some more weight.
so the 2 questions I have, if anyone has hands-on experience:

How does either a BearVault 500, or Bearkade weekender canister fit in the GGear Escape?
How serviceable is the lid as a small fanny pack?
Thanks for any feedback.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Sorry Rich, I am waiting to buy that one until the store gets one I can try on. If it fits me, I am snagging one immediately. That piece is 3 lbs lighter than my 85L Argon. I am trying to lighten my load for certain trips. I will get it as soon as it comes in.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I was at REI in Fresno, and they did not have any Granite Gear packs. I am not sure where in California I could go to physically try one on. I have a feeling I will order one from Amazon when they get it back in stock. I order enough stuff from them, if it doesn't work, I'll exchange it for something that does. If I get it, or something else, I will post again. I switched a few years ago from a Marmot Terraplane that weighted about 6 1/2 pounds, to the GoLite, and I was happy to make the change!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

richlong8 wrote:I was at REI in Fresno, and they did not have any Granite Gear packs. I am not sure where in California I could go to physically try one on.!
http://www.granitegear.com/support/dealers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix