Stoves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stoves

Post by ERIC »

Whisperlite for winter camping, Pocket Rocket for everything else.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Ran the gamut from Svea, Hank Roberts, Peak 1, MSR (various models) - never any alcohol Pepsi-can models though -

As I occasionally, actually like/enjoy cooking (trout), among other things and not a big fan of "Meals-in-a-pouch" -
Require a stove that simmers, capable of using a wind screen, and is stable.
I now carry a canister - MSR Windpro for most 3-season work, and a dependable white gas - MSR XG for winters.
Mountainman who swims with trout
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I have a MSR pocket rocket which works great except when it gets below freezing, and then it's best to sleep with the canister in your bag or under your pillow. Last summer it wimped out on me at the base of Mt. Goddard, so while I waited for water to boil for my morning coffee, it sputtered at simmer strength. Usually, for most climes it's fast and light, although I don't like the disposable cannister, and supporting the petro chemical industry. I have recently been experimenting with alcohol stoves. I made a super cat and it worked fine, but it failed in a wet snowstorm. The Swedish Trangia, so far has been flawless. Boils water in 7 minutes, has a simmer ring(I made a pot of jasmine rice in 15 minutes), and it has a leak proof cap that lets you carry fuel in the stove, unlike the cat. The denatured alcohol is cheap, environmentally green, easy to find, and you can carry it in a plastic soda bottle. No moving parts, this stove's simplicity is beautiful!
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

It was cold and raining this weekend, so I did a comparison test between my MSR Pocket Rocket isobutane/propane canister stove and my Trangia alcohol stove. The temperature was 42ºf and it rained throughout the entire test. I used a Snow Peak titanium pot with tight fitting lid and windscreen for both stove boils. Boil times are for 1 liter of cold water.

The Trangia weighs 4oz empty and holds 4oz of denatured alcohol. It took 20 minutes and 3 oz of fuel to boil 1 liter.

The Pocket Rocket weighs 4oz with its plastic carrying case and a full fuel canister weighs 12 oz. Each canister holds 8 oz of fuel. It took 7 minutes to boil 1 liter. Not sure how much fuel it took, but the canister still weighs 12oz.

Both stoves have advantages and disadvantages, The Trangia is slow, but very dependable. It would however require a lot of denatured alcohol(4 oz a day) for a long trip(14 days+). If you are not drinking coffee and just boiling water for dinner then this would be the way to go. If you are boiling a quart of water in the morning and 2 cups at night, then the Pocket rocket is more efficient. You could get by on one and a half canisters for a 14 day trip, but remember to keep the canister warm when the temperature drops, otherwise it just sputters. I hate carrying around the empty canisters, but this stove is a demon!

So for me it's the Trangia for short trips and the Pocket Rocket for 10+ days.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Vandman,

Alcohol stoves work fine in cold weather if you warm the fuel - it also gives the stove an edge if it has a wick to prime instead of a primer pan. Part of the physics of it - I have boiled 2 cups of water reliably at temps well below freezing, with an ounce of fuel each burn with a Mini Atomic stove from Minibull Designs.

I got rid of the Pocket Rocket a long time ago, but I still have my alcohol stoves, and a Snow Peak that provides better efficiency than the PR with less carbon monoxide output.

You will probably notice a drop in effectiveness with canister stoves when the temps drop below freezing. For very cold temps, a remote canister stove is neat - lets you turn the canister upside down while the stove is operating, for a better fuel supply.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I use a MSR Pocket Rocket for the summer, a MSR Internationale for snowcamping conditions. However, I am picking up a used MSR Rapidfire which I think I'll use for fall trips, it will use isobutane, regardless of temps, where my PR had to have the fuel warmed just a bit for those single digits in Oct. For weekend trips in the near future, I'll be bringing along a couple vintage stoves to try out each trip. Can't wait to see what I missed all these years. I used a couple of my recent acquisitions, vintage Optimus 111T's on two different snowcamp trips to see how they would do and gain some experience with these mulit-fuel stoves. Smells just like a diesel rig went by without most of the noise.:) My trips will have to be solo as some of the stoves have roarer burners and are loud, even the little ones.

Check out HJ's stove of the week series on some of the MSR stoves at, Classic Camp Stoves. Cool place for stove fans/fanatics.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Bill Morell, I don't find HST a bit cliqueish like High School. A few here have done trips together, not a meet up group here. One of the better run and knowledge based forums I have seen. Sorry you generated many looks and few welcomes, folks here don't gush like other forums, more seriousness, less nonsense. By the way, welcome, I never made it down to your intro, it got buried. I'm a doer, not a talker.
Piece of cake.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Bill,
Sorry you felt un-welcomed...never the intention for anyone.
Most of the regulars here are sort of loners - typically solo hikers, experienced, eager to share, straight shooters, passionate but perhaps intolerant of any BS…some are relatively incoherent at times too.
Stick around, trade some knowledge – welcome; feel free to ask (and answer) any well-thought-out questions on anything Sierra. I do.
No agendas here; we do not judge, so park the attitude…maybe a little sarcasm (expected and tolerated), but…the only entrance ticket into the “clique” here (you mentioned) merely asks that you bring something positive to the table - share.
FYI, most here have never met, probably never will – the nature of the solo beast.

Again, Welcome aboard!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Trangia has two basic concepts, the 25 and 27 series with the windscreen and the Mini series with a burner support but no real windscreen. The Sierra can be a windy place and the wind is not friend of alcohol stoves. I took the Mini to Whitney last summer during windy conditions and it performed poorly. I prefer the 25 series with a true windscreen and a tea kettle instead of the pots and pan. The windscreen is bomb proof and translates to better fuel conservation when snuffed quickly after the water boils. I can do a breakfast of oatmeal and coffee or tea and a dinner cozy style on about 3 to 4 ounces of fuel per day. I love the versatility but you need to stay within the design concepts to get the best efficiency. My trips are usually about three to four days so I can safely optimize an alcohol fuel setup. Besides all that, I like the stability and quietness.
As a side note, welcome aboard Bob!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

Bill,

I am kind of new here too and it just took a few posts (maybe some dumb ones too!!) until folks feel you are here to contribute by starting topix or chiming in. I will tell you that this is a good place and I have learned alot here in a short amount of time.

I use canister stoves as I am pretty much a warmer weather hiker. I like their ease of use and they can be very efficient. My MSR windpro is a great stove and can simmer and has a nice wide flame. I recently got an optimus Crux lite and paired it up with a small Ti pot for light hikes. Previously, I used an MSR whisperlite international that never let me down. I wouldn't winter camp with the canister stoves, too risky. But I have turned the canister upside down on cold mornings with my windpro and it works better for sure.