Tarptent Advice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Clubb
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Tarptent Advice

Post by Clubb »

ah, shaving weight...............the age old pursuit of the backpacker.

I'll get right to it. I'm looking at getting an ultralight solo tent. I'm currently packing in a North Face Pebble thats a 2 person and 4-5 lbs. When my wife goes with me this works.

I"ve also got a bivy, but dont really like it for backpacking. Its more for hike in hunting trips. I want a little more room for summer backpacking.

I've been looking at the Tarptents and for the price, weight, and seemingly glowing reviews, how can you go wrong?

I've been thinking about the Moment, Contrail, and Sublite, or Sublite Sil. I'm not sure if I want a tent that utilizes hiking poles or not, but I'm intrigued by the option.

Talk me out of getting a Tarptent.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tarptent Advice

Post by maverick »

I have been using the Rainbow for a couple of years now, and can say that is a very
solid, and spacious tent.
I have been through several big storms with it, and it has held up fine.
Besides the flimsy zipper, and having to seam seal it, I have nothing negative to
say about it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would get a Sublite in silnylon in a heartbeat, if tents were my thing, but I get way more headroom and comfort in a hammock under a nice tarp.

I have a Sublite in Tyvek and find it a really nice solo tent - way more headroom than one would expect, enough space for me (5' 7") and my gear, easily set up in minutes, and the Tyvek is hands down the best condensation prevention in the galaxy. It's going alpine with me in the summer.

I've got a friend who has a Moment. It's a nice tent but seems condensation prone. I hear Henry has a liner for it now.

If you don't want to use hiking poles you can get Easton poles that work with the Sublite - I have them too. Just some extra weight in the pack. I prefer using my Lightrek trekking poles to give me a little flexibility in pitching it high or low.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Clubb wrote:ah, shaving weight...............the age old pursuit of the backpacker.

Talk me out of getting a Tarptent.
No way. Of all the "go light" purchases I made prior to my JMT thru hike in 2005, that's the one I'm most pleased with. I bought a Squall with a sewn-in floor, which at that time was an extra-cost option. It's no longer available, but it appears to be quite similar to their current models. My tent is light, durable, waterproof, bug resistant, and it doesn't sweat, even out here in the steamy east.
—B²
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote "I've got a friend who has a Moment. It's a nice tent but seems
condensation prone." That is good to hear, but condensation can be caused by a lot
of different factors beyond the tent makers control, and sometimes could be more
the users fault as you know.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote:AlmostThere wrote "I've got a friend who has a Moment. It's a nice tent but seems
condensation prone." That is good to hear, but condensation can be caused by a lot
of different factors beyond the tent makers control, and sometimes could be more
the users fault as you know.
It's not just my friend. There are a multitude of threads on the subject at backpacking light and at least one other forum.... so much so that Henry is making the optional liners for them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote "It's not just my friend. There are a multitude of threads on the
subject at backpacking light and at least one other forum.... so much so that Henry
is making the optional liners for them." Yeah I saw the liners being offered last year
but did not read that there was such an issue with condensation since I have not
had it, with my Rainbow, thanks for pointing this out.

Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

One thing I can't understand is that folks buy these types of shelters, basically sleep with a 4" gap all around at ground level, and then get upset with condensation and/or draft.

One thing that has kept me away is draft for sure, I like to be able to seal it up and have venting up top where the wind can't get me.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Any single wall shelter will probably have an issue with condensation. How much of an issue depends...

I don't see people as being upset about it - not everyone thinks it's a real problem, just something you need to address somehow if it gets bad enough to start dripping on everything. Sometimes that's as simple as a pack towel.

People who freak out about their down quilts unrealistically have the tendency to be upset by a little condensation. I'm not among them.... I enjoy the Tyvek version also because it is not going to heat up in full sun, and provides shade, making it a great place to take a nap in the middle of the day in treeless areas.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote "I enjoy the Tyvek version also because it is not going to heat
up in full sun, and provides shade, making it a great place to take a nap in the
middle of the day in treeless areas."
What other differences between it, and the sil versions have you experienced?