Advice on backcountry rucks.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on backcountry rucks.

Post by oldranger »

Without knowing anything about either of the packs why do you say they would not be suitable for a 9 day trip? With the ability to strap your sleeping pad and bag on externally it would seem to me to be more than enough volume.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

ApocalypseMan wrote:
I found a Kelty Trekker 3900 and also a Kelty Super Tioga 4900. I do not believe this would be good for up to 9 days.
Seriously? The Tioga is an 80 liter pack! I could be out for a month with that thing - you could haul two bear cans with it, plus tools!

It's also 99 bucks at Sierra Trading Post, I see.
ApocalypseMan
Topix Novice

Post by ApocalypseMan »

I just checked and the Super Tioga is sold out on the Sierra trading post site. #-o
Wildman Approves!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

This thread leads into a general question I have about packs.

What, if any, brands have reputations or things they are know for? eg. X brand tend to have weak buckles, Y brand fit shorter torsos better, Z brand was good until it's manufacturing was moved...etc.

I know the reputation may be generalized and finding the pack that fits you, no matter the brand, is the most important thing. However, info like this may help someone better focus on what packs to investigate.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote "What, if any, brands have reputations or things they are
know for? eg. X brand tend to have weak buckles, Y brand fit shorter torsos
better, Z brand was good until it's manufacturing was moved...etc."
The problem with a thread like that is a lot of folks may write up things from
second, and even third had chatter, and not from personal experience which is
pretty much worthless.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

oldranger wrote:For the most part Jennie Lakes Wilderness is fairly gentle while Monarch is steep!
Like he said, these areas are opposites. You can day-hike all of Jennie Lakes area in a day, and Monarch is primarily vertical, and a real test for backpack weight and comfort. On the Kennedy Pass and Copper Creek trails you will begrudge every ounce and feel every friction point. Choose well.

Anything you can do to improve the viability of the trail around Dead Pine Ridge would be a real benefit. :bear: :nod:

Further Notes:
Old Ranger tells me that the person that started this thread is Forrest Service, but most of the same comments apply. I have done the Deer Cove trail many times, a real early season favorite of mine. Many old map trails in that area are gone or nearly so. There is no trail, but at Deer Cove if you go back a ways there is an excellent camp there. The next camp place is at Wildman Meadow, but a camp on the ridge above the meadow may be better. I have been to the passes above Grizzly Lakes, but always when I went everything was covered with snow. But my point here is that except for a flat section at Wildman, everything steep up an down, potentially hot, exposed, and a real test of pack weight and comfort. You really need a good pack for that trail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ApocalypseMan
Topix Novice

Post by ApocalypseMan »

I ended up getting a Kelty Trekker external 3950 for 130 something, it was the last one. I found out that I'll only need my pack for about 3 days but ill need a day pack for day hikes. We will be using one of the Ranger cabins that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Wildman Approves!