Stoves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Stoves

Post by whrdafamI? »

I was wondering what are you using for a stove? I started out many years ago with a Optimus 8R. Later I went with a Camping Gaz Tri Star which was OK. Last Coleman fuel type stove was a MSR Dragonfly. Last year I opted for a Snow Peak Giga Power for the size and weight ratio aspect. Since I mostly just boil water to cook it has proved to be more then adequate. So what are using and why do you like it?
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stoves

Post by rlown »

I use a Coleman Apollo Exponent stove.
034.JPG
It is a dual fuel stove, but I haven't tried the unleaded gas in it yet. I probably should because Coleman white gas seems harder to find and really expensive now.

As you can see, we do more than just boil water. I like it because it will simmer well for finer, longer cooking processes and boils like a mad man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rlown on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I use alcohol stoves. I have a cat, so they're easy and free to replace, not that I've had to yet. Can't imagine needing anything heavier just to boil water.

I have a couple of canister stoves for group use. They freak people out less.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I am the cook on most trips and usually have 5+ guys that I try to feed with one pot meals. For years I had a Coleman Peak 1 that I loved since it was reliable and easy to use. It started showing it's age and so I picked up an MSR Whisperlite on sale at REI. Used it last year and loved it. I don't think it's the lightest thing out there, but it allowed me to cook for a crew of 9 last summer.

I just recently made a cat can stove and am going to take it on a small trip to Point Reyes in May. That may be what I use the in future if I'm out solo or with a couple other people. It's definitely not for cooking.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I used a Whisperlite a long time ago, but have been using a Pocket Rocket for the
last several years.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I used a Pocket Rocket for several years, but have switched to a jet boil. Not the lightest thing out there, but I like it. That's when I use a stove. I'm trying to go stoveless....
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

As the guy who remembers everything, haven't we had this conversation before? With new products it is not a bad idea to recycle topics from time to time, though.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yes, Mike, we have. In many different Venues. But as you said, good to recycle some things. Stoves are no different it seems than any other gear.. It depends on what you're doing..

When i hunt, I take two old coleman two-burner gas stoves, which then sit on a table outside my camper for those great lamb stew or liver (if lucky) meals after a day in the field. I started on backpacking with a Peak 1 I bought when 16. You have to remember that we do have new people and just try and do a meaningful search on "stove".
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Mike and Russ, actually I did do a "search" on stoves before starting this thread. Didn't find much. Longest one pertained to Alcohol Stoves which I have absolutely no interest in. Yes I am new on here and haven't had the number of posts you guys have had and doubt that I will. Forums are interesting places to visit. One thing that I have always found to be true is that for the charter members or those that are close it becomes like a high school "clique". New comers are always suspect. Just because I am new on here doesn't mean that I am new to this sport. Being that I am new to here I just might touch on subjects that have been discussed before. Sometimes posts are made by new people in a attempt to be like a "ice breaker" and try to fit in. I tried that earlier with a post titled "Hello". Only 2 replies and not a single "hello" back in over 65 veiws. I had it removed. I really hoped that this forum would be different and a little bit more friendly but I am just not feeling it.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I use an alcohol stove (cat can) for '3-season' use. Its light, quiet, requires little fuel, and sometimes can make cooking a challenge. It stinks however when the temps get below freezing, so depending upon the season (early spring/late fall - winter) I take the good ol' whisperlite. Is consisten and the thing rocks at bringing water to a boil fast melting snow.