Most visited sections?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
panamint
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Most visited sections?

Post by panamint »

1st D
2nd G
3rdC
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Probably the only old guy here that can provide an accurate count. Day hiking much more of course. But just backpacking:

A. Tahoe Basin to Northern Border of Yosemite 14 7 6 2 1 3 3 = 36

B. Yosemite NP 27
Stanislaus NF/Yosemite 7
Inyo NF/Yosemite 2
Toyabe NF/Yosemite 1 = 37

C. Sierra NF 2 1 20 = 23

D. Inyo NF 20 2 29 = 51

E. Kings Canyon NP = 1
Inyo NF/Kings Canyon NP 15 = 16

F. Sequoia NP = 8

G. Sequoia NF = 0
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

SSSDave wrote "Probably the only old guy here that can provide an accurate count", yeah
what's up with dat, you "old guys", I want days, minutes, and seconds accounted for, in
each section!
Sheesh, just can't get any decent input anymore.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

"Probably the only old guy here that can provide an accurate count... But just backpacking..."

Pretty cool that you keep such an accurate count -(Ah, your journals?)...but of what?
That ~200 number mentioned (if I added right), does that apply to your total Sierra nights out?

You are right though, about being old and unable to give accurate numbers of all wanderings.
Interesting, when you think about it perspective-wise, 200+ seems like a fair number of total Sierra backpacking nights...lucky man!
I wonder how many others here have approached that number...more or less?
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I didn't think this was about numbers, but most visited. One of my least visited, but most coveted is Hoover. I like the beaver dams, the fish and the ability to harvest food there, including morel mushrooms, squirrels and potatoes.. I know.. I read too many Tom Brown books..
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

markskor wrote:"Probably the only old guy here that can provide an accurate count... But just backpacking..."

Pretty cool that you keep such an accurate count -(Ah, your journals?)...but of what?
That ~200 number mentioned (if I added right), does that apply to your total Sierra nights out?

You are right though, about being old and unable to give accurate numbers of all wanderings.
Interesting, when you think about it perspective-wise, 200+ seems like a fair number of total Sierra backpacking nights...lucky man!
I wonder how many others here have approached that number...more or less?
No those are backpacking trips. Total nights will break 4 figures if I don't manage to croak the next few years.

The nice thing about making various records is it is about the only way to recall much a decade or two later. Images are a huge help but there can be more. As a twenty-something began keeping a crude penciled log early on to help index my 35mm photography slides. Then a decade later separated some of that info out into a trip log that includes dates, length of trip, names of others, and areas visited. At the bottom total the number of trips into each forest/wilderness as well as the number of trips of a given length. In the 90's began a spreadsheet log that includes all my daytrips. Also in this digital camera age have made some whole group trip multimedia html CDROMs where each person sends in their photo's, video, and stories.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Not only can I not keep any kind of track, I don't even pay attention to which area my trips fall in. Almost all of my trips start on the east, from Horseshoe Meadows on the south, up to Rush Creek on the north. I tend to avoid western entrances, although I'd like to do a portion of Roper's High Route heading out of Road's End some day. I also tend to avoid Yosemite . Partly just because it's too far from So. Cal., but I've been underwhelmed by the travel I have done there (ducking from the tomatoes and chorus of catcalls :paranoid: ).
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

D, B, E (by way of eastside passes)

(I've counted 196 backpacking nights but I'm missing info on a few years.)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Sort of hard to put a label - "most visited section" - after a while, all past trips seem to merge...one Sierra... many trails connected - multiple Muirs, Tahoe Rim, TYT, among others.
BTW, If a trip starts out in section A, and passes through the entire alphabet, where does it belong here?

No way to keep track of them all...Hard to keep track of even one year's ramblings, much less, decades...also heavy believer in self-medication :eek: .
FWIW, I like the section between Kennedy Meadows and Desolation best.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Which Kennedy Meadows? ;)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!