Arcteryx Bora 95

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Arcteryx Bora 95

Post by whrdafamI? »

Looks like so far I am the only one on here with a Bora 95. Oh well.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

oldmanonthetrail...
Once seriously considered the Bora 70 - (same design/materials but slightly smaller "hole") - gave it a hard look too, even carried a "borrower" a hundred or so August Sierra miles - TYT... thought it a good, comfortable, solid, load-hauler... bomber suspension, waterproof too, but just a tad too heavy for my typical summer wanderings...
slightly overkill for doing miles on the hot and dry.

Not really a gram weenie by any means, and I realize that you are not asking anyone to carry your load - HYOH and all that - but these old knees don't need the extra 3 1/2 pounds.

Lots of talk here about getting your summer big 4: (pack, bag, tent, and pad) all under 10 pounds...
Hard to do when the backpack itself, (agreed a very well made but perhaps slightly over-priced backpack if only due to the Arc-Teryx name), weighs in at 7 pounds. (BTW, got rid of my good old buddy - my Chili Red Shasta at 6 pounds as also being too heavy.)

Winter camping though, the Bora would perhaps seem better suited - in its perfect waterproof element.
Mountainman who swims with trout
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Hey, I've got one! Weighs a ton, but is one of the few packs that is (relatively) comfortable around the hips for me. I'll take comfort any day. Also, you can pack a ton of stuff into it without having to tie your whole life onto the outside (I hate having stuff hanging off my pack, particularly when I'm scrambling off-trail).

Thinking I should really try something lighter, on the recommendation of several people I recently got an Osprey Atmos. Cannot stand the thing. Uncomfortable and has an inane design. Also, there's something cool about wearing a pack named after a prehistoric bird (which I'm sure could rip an osprey to shreds). :)
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

I've got an older model Bora 90 and yes, it's a monster. Gotta get a lighter pack soon.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Well the consensus is that while it is heavy it is a "Bomb proof" pack. I have looked at the lighter packs and I just can't find anything quite as comfortable. If anything, this pack makes you look for ways to cut the weight. I am always willing to try most anything in that regard but draw the line on cutting toothbrush handles.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.