Undies

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Undies

Post by AlmostThere »

I wear nylon with cotton panel bikinis. Or cotton bikinis.

Don't like briefs much.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

I wear cotton boxers, sometimes my capilene long underwear under my shorts if it's chilly.

Most importantly:

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yup: three cheers for Body Glide!! Especially out here in the humid east, it can be a life-saver!
—B²
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

I've learned a few things over the years I've spent hikin around.

Some of the most important things:

1. buy good socks. i like bridgedale merino wool. switch out socks often, and dry your feet out.
2. buy good underwear. cotton does not breath, leading to swamp crotch and chaffing. i like Body Sensors synthetic boxer briefs. i get em at Sierra Trading post. holds the junk in place and keeps you dry. no problem riding up.

the only problem i've found with synthethics (polypropalene, etc.) is they get stinky. my buddy has been starting to wear merino wool undies and base layers. he says you get the breathability, warmth, and they dont get stinky. i am going to try em out.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'll say nothing more on the subject aside from... dudes have different needs than the girls do.

I'll stick with cotton.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I have to admit its not a topic I've thought much about because I've never had much of an issue with em. My feet are another issue and I've had issues with my outer shorts and those half belts that are attached, but not my undies. Started with cotton boxers cause thats what I wore back then and swithced to boxer briefs later as thats what I wear now. I dont do well with the mesh net shorts. I lived in So Cal as a youth and was a frequent body surfer. The lined shorts would practically cripple me with chaffing in a short time so I started buying swim shorts without netting or I cut the netting out. They may be fine for packing, but my previous experiences make me leary of them. I will say Mav that being that most of the posters on this site are male and several of us are over 50, option C seems just plain wrong :eek:, but each to his own I guess ;) . Just saying!!!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

My female friends wear thongs. I tried when I was younger, but I just don't like the feeling of something going up my butt. :moon:

Barely There Hipsters by Hanes.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Have to chuckle here...
Being a bit on the stout side, I find that wicking boxers help prevent chafing...
My problem occurs when my thighs rub - long synthetic boxers do help considerably, especially when doing multiple mile days.

Also a big shout out for Glide...always carry it and works wonders.

All that being said, my answer is depends...(little underwear humor there), but...
Wicking boxers when hiking, and "commando" when just fishing.
Mountainman who swims with trout
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

This was actually a rather difficult quest. My legs chafe too much when only wearing briefs. Most of the Boxer briefs I have tried tend to ride up while hiking. At the moment, I have settled on under armour boxer jocks with the 9” inseam. They are long enough and fit tight without being too restrictive. They don’t ride up. They have a nice “pocket” up front for the jewels that provides just enough room. They also dry fast so I can wear them swimming when I don’t want to embarrass the gals I am hiking with. Only downside is they are not very durable for the $20 price.