When Smaller Animals Attack?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: When Smaller Animals Attack?

Post by sirlight »

giantbrookie wrote:We wondered about that marmot, though, given that we figured its GI tract wasn't put together to deal with fatty cured meat.
I think if a marmot can eat your radiator hose and drink the coolant, it can handle salame! :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Rampaging Jack Russell terrier nearly knocked me off the trail in Big Sur.

Are toddlers small animals? I had one grab my pants and start to wail when he figured out I wasn't someone he should be grabbing.

Flying things dive into my headlamp sometimes, too quickly to see what they are, bounce off my forehead and zoom away into the night. At a hot spring we had bats swoop down and flutter between us, just inches away. But they were after bugs hovering over the water surface.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

A couple of years ago, I was sleeping out "cowboy" style at Blue Lake while my family slept in the three man tent. For the first hour after I pulled into my bag, several chipmunks decided to make my head into a spring board. They seemed to have quite a good time of it. I could hear their little feet bouncing across my tarp, then, suddenly spring off my head. Once I realized what was going on, I just pulled my beanie down over my face and let them go at it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Jimr wrote "Once I realized what was going on, I just pulled my beanie down over my
face and let them go at it", that's funny.
I would loved to have got that on video, would have made millions.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Once I was camping on Piute Creek and hung 10 fish on a line between 2 trees about 4 feet off the ground. A weasel (It looked like a weasel to me) tore off my fish one at a time right in front of my eyes. It was very cold and each time I just hoped it wouldn't come back. I didn't want to get up in such cold. After it took eight fish I got up and salvaged my last 2 fish.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Camped along the river, deep amongst the browns and greens, somewhere between Glen Aulin and Waterwheel Falls… (This was back in the time when hanging food in Yosemite was still allowed)…BTW, that particular evening it was a truly perfect food hang…absolutely bear impregnable.

Puttering around camp, we happened to spy something large, flying overhead…must have soared a good 100 feet…came from out of the shadows, high pines, arced in, rode the wind…
The sound of four sets of claws latching onto/tearing into nylon food bags…
Turns out, it was a flying squirrel.
We sat watching, mesmerized, the bags swinging 20 feet up - the rodent now sliding down; it’s “hooks” slicing open that food bag in seconds.

Only time I ever lost anything well hung.
Mountainman who swims with trout
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

I've had a chipmunk jump right into my open bear cannister when I was sitting about 3 feet away and start helping itself. I've had a couple of holes chewed in packs by rodents. Not a smaller animal, but deer will also go after sweat. Up in the cascades I spent about an hour repeatedly shooing one away from my pack shoulder straps. Finally had to pull the entire pack into my tent to ensure I could carry it on my back the next day and not in my hands.
Other than ticks, yellow jackets and skeeters nothing else has done me bodily harm.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

Wowie! I got attacked by a yellow jacket a couple of years back at Peter Pande. I was tying on a fly and this guy kept buzzing my ear, he came for another round and i whacked him, only to then get caught under the brim of my hat and somehow instinctively grapple his way straight to my lip. A terrible trip for me but these photos have gotten a lot of mileage.
Even mosquitoes make my lips swell up double there size, so i knew the yellow jacket was going to be a dousy. These are chronological, much of it using my camera as a mirror.
I'll have to say i let out a terrific scream after that bite that even in all the agony, made me smile as it reverberated from those granite walls.

Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Ouch Patrick!!!! Hard to follow your pics!! Had a girlfriend who reacted like that to bug bites. I have to admit I didnt really beleive her until she got stung on the foot by a yellowjacket. Her foot swelled up like I had never seen (fortunately not backpacking) and I quickly had to apologize for my earlier disbelief.

Like others, Ive never had that much trouble, but have had a few issues with critters. I once found my pack strap nearly chewed in half by what I suspect was a marmot as we saw several in the area. One of only 2 times I've used my heavy sew kit. Ive also had my share of finding holes in the corner of the trail mix etc. Once while camped at Sawmill Lake, we noticed my bag of nuts moving a bit. I scooped it up quickly and we watched a little mouse do high bank turns around the inside of the bag until he found his entrance hole to now exit out of.

On another trip I bivyed at Dissapointment Lk just in front of a storm. I had just enough time to set up my tarp and bivy on the lee side of a big boulder and to get some water before the deluge began. I sat boiling some water for dinner in my little shelter when a small mouse like guy appeared from beneath the rock. Not wanting to move,I actually spread some nuts out hoping the little bugger would leave my bag alone. It worked. I saw it several times that evening as it came out to enjoy another almond and in the morning my food bag was secure.

Probably the funniest issue I ever had/saw with critters was at Grouse Meadows in KCNP with a deer. I lauged at the time, as it reminded me of a similar story I had read many moons ago in an article by Mike Hayden. The Haydens had a deer come into camp and steal their soap. Certainly not good at the start of a trip. Ours seemed much more serious to us at the time. On day 2 of a 9 day trip, we had stopped for a water break and to check out the meadow views. This doe started snooping around our packs almost instantly. We had ran her off a few times, but she was persistent. She was near my brothers pack when she grabed a plastic bag and took off. My brother jumps up in full pursuit screaming at the deer at top of his lungs. It worked cuz while she did run aways, she eventually dropped the bag. What was the big deal? The bag had my brothers TP for the trip.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Wow, Patrick! That looks painful! Scott had something bite his face while on the JMT, and it got so swollen I had a hard time looking at him. He almost bailed because of the pain, but by the time we got close to a way out a few days later, he decided it was a lot better.

Last year I was with 2 friends, and a boxer ran towards us barking like it was going to attack. It stopped to sniff both of the others, but when it got to me it bit my shin. Took me by surprise, but I had a knee brace on so it bit mostly on the brace and barely broke skin with the bottom teeth. By the time we got close to summitting (Dragon Pk), it was painful. It hurt for over a month, felt like a big bruise.

A few years ago I was hiking a good distance behind my friend and he must've stirred up a few yellowjackets. I forgot my hiking pants so I work clingy exercise shorts with leg warmers that were in my bag. The yellowjackets attacked my butt cheek and back of my calf. I had never been stung before, and because it was so painful I was worried that a stinger was still there and didn't want the material to push it in. I made my friend look for the stinger. He's normally not shy, but got shy about it. We still laugh about it. I hiked out another 2.5 mi and it felt like it was sticking me with every step.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;