Youth Backpacks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Granitejim
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Youth Backpacks

Post by Granitejim »

I'm looking for feedback on youth backpacks. I've been looking for backpacks for 2 boys, 9 and 11 years old. There are a several brands and several models but my goal is a good starter pack that they can grow into and use for a number of years. Right now I'm leaning to the REI passage 65 but if anybody has either purchased this pack or recommends any other I'd appreciate it..Thanks.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Youth Backpacks

Post by oldranger »

Wow the Passage 65 has more volume and weighs 2 lbs more than the pack I use. Check out the smaller REI pack and the two Osprey packs carried by REI. You don't need a big pack for kids that age. The smaller packs have worked out well for my grandkids and nephew that I took backpacking last year. But the last word on packs should come from fishmonger who has done mega trips with his kids.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Granitejim

Welcome to HST!
I would go to REI, or other outdoor retail stores, and have the kids try on several
backpacks, get assistance from a sales person with kids that backpack.
Getting the right size of backpack also depends on the lengths of the trips too, so
you should purchase packs that are adequate in volume.
REI is good since they allow you to return the item after it has been used.
When you get the packs home have them put in the approx weight they plan to carry on
there trips, and go take an easy walk/hike so they get a feel for the packs.
Read the brochures so they know how to adjust the packs suspension system.
Are the hip belts comfortable, how about the shoulder harnesses?
Are there enough pockets on the outside of the pack, can they easily reach there water
bottles or will they be using a water bladder?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Granitejim
Topix Newbie

Post by Granitejim »

Thanks for the input. I will be making a trip to REI today for sizing and any information I can get. My thought is to have a bigger pack to allow for growth but still be comfortable and usable at this age. I have a limited budget and am trying to keep from having to purchase again in a couple of years if possible. My trips this summer would probably be limited to about 2 nights and the years to come will see much longer trip times as they grow into it. It's tough to get a feel for sizes online so thanks for the thoughts.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Granitejim wrote "It's tough to get a feel for sizes online", yes, just like trying to
buy shoes.
Some people have shorter or longer torsos which will be a determining factor in
the size needed.
I use magazines and on-line sites to get a feel on the volume, material, and hopefully
try to find some unbiased reviews, but no amount of "Backers Editor Awards" or
"Outdoor Magazine Gear Of the Year" means anything if the pack doesn't feel
comfortable or fit my body!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

To add to what maverick said, When I buy a pack, I always go pick out the pack, load it up put it on then go shopping in the store for an hour. Not the same as a real hike but can help with strap adjustment issues or if the pack is just shaped wrong for the user. I also will wear a pair of boots in the store for an hour or so before buying. Again not the same as a real hike but can help Identify trouble spots.

REIs return policy is so generous I like to make sure I give the equipment careful consideration before I use it then return it. Then, like the time I had a pair of boots blow out 25 miles from the car I had no problem returning them. I can't believe some people will return equipment that they have basically totally worn out. But you can see such equipment when REI has a "garage" sale.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!