Camera battery life during long trips

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Camera battery life during long trips

Post by East Side Hiker »

If one is on a, lets say, 21 day trip, what do people do to keep taking pictures before their battery runs out? Currently, I have 4 cameras. For each one, the battery lasts about 3 days. Thats 12 days. Do I need a couple batteries for 2 of the pictures? Or what do people do?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camera battery life during long trips

Post by AlmostThere »

I bought two batteries (proprietary Canon) for my ELPH - the camera will last for 5-6 days on one battery. But it's not a terribly complicated camera, just point and shoot. Got back from a four day trip of nearly 200 pictures, went out on two more dayhikes with the same charge, finally recharged it just because I didn't want to run the risk of it dying next trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Start by choosing one camera according to the functions, and battery life which
suits you the best.
In the field try not to expose the battery to very cold weather, have them in
your sleeping bag, and next to your body during the day, especially if it gets below
40 degrees.
Also refrain from reviewing your photo's to often, or using the light function, use
your flashlight at night instead.
Also if you have the live view function try not using it to often because it will eat up
your battery life.
Turn off the IS or VR function on your lens if you have it since it also eats up battery life.
Just carry extra batteries, or try a backcountry solar charger, though the reviews
I have read online the are not very flattering.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

What Mav said, but I'd add to avoid Alkaline batteries in favor of Lithium. In my experience, the Alkaline batteries are very, very cold sensitive. I carry 4 fully charged Li batts for my Olympus, even for short trips. As i now get more joy out of taking Mpegs in favor of stills, my batteries go faster.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

What Mav said.

If you have a camera with an optical view finder, use it, this will greatly extend battery life. If your camera has a built in flash be sure it is OFF.

Be selective in your shooting! This saves batteries, card space and a lot of time when you get home!

For two week trips I take two batteries but rarely have depend on the second (Canon 5d). I think I get around 500 images from a charge which is more than enough pictures than I want to look at when I get home!

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Since all my cameras have different batteries, Dos any ony know of a solar battery charger? Getting two batteries for each camera would be somewhat expensive.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not to get too off topic, but why are you carrying 4 cameras? For solar, though not very good reviews here, google "brunton solaris", or even search the HST for brunton.

Best idea would be pick two cameras, get extra batts for both, go fully charged, keep them warm, and share some pics when you get back..
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I carry 4 cameras because they take very different pictures. My old Canon elph (early edition) takes very good close ups, and I use it infrequently. My Panasonic takes very good distance pictures, and I use it infrequently. The other two Canons take good pictures inbetween, but the SD 960 has much better light controls, and I use it a lot. I take approx 250 pics/day, and the batteries only last about 4 days, even using the techniques I've read above. I never review my pics. I really try to conserve. Never look at them at night. They all take different batteries. Thus, when one of two middle Canons battery dies, I do have the other. And when they both die, I fall back on the other two. They weigh nothing and take up hardly any space.

I must be doing something wrong.

I have a Canon SD 550, SD960 IS, SD 980, and a Pansonic Lumix FH22.

I would've figured there would be solar chargers by now. I guess I neede a couple spare batteries for the middle two Canons.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

there are solar chargers.. brunton.. They require a LOT of downtime to get the charge, and good weather, but still.. If you have a desire to carry 4 cameras on a 21 day trip, that is your choice.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Brunton Solo Power Plants have been cycling on Steep and Cheap lately.

http://www.backcountry.com/brunton-solo ... ower-plant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no experience with them, but thought I'd mention it.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.