Agnew Meadow trails

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ajiacs
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Agnew Meadow trails

Post by ajiacs »

I am looking to take a similar loop as the original poster and had a question on the route. I am going to start at Agnew Meadows and head to Thousand Island Lake via the High Trail. Is this possible to complete in one day for a novice backpacker (with weekly day hikes of 6-8 miles and a few warmup backpacking trips as preparation)? If not, are there decent places to camp along the High Trail between Agnew Meadows and 1000 Isl Lake? Thanks in advance for any help!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The High Trail is 1500 ft climb in 7.8 miles, but with an early start you should have no
problems making it to 1000 Is Lake even if you take your time and enjoy the great views.
Bagger Lakes is 1.6 from 1000 Is Lake if for some reason you got a late start and you
need a lake to camp at, but the days are long enough with light till 9 pm.
Also there are places along the way on the High Trail that has water, so finding a spot
to sleep is not a big deal.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ajiacs
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by ajiacs »

Excellent, thanks for the help. It's good to know that there are places to crash if we have a slow first day on the trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Oh, and welcome to HST Ajiacs!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org