Nervous about conditions on JMT this july

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Sierra July

Post by gdurkee »

Yep. Early July may be a pain. You might be OK to start in Yosemite and work South. Bear Creek is definitely bad with high water, but that's maybe 10 days south (??) so might (?!?) be OK by mid-July. I think, north to south, Evolution will be OK. I'm contemplating how to get across in mid June. Strangely, if you do it early (i.e. before the melt starts) it's ok -- but June 20 +/- to July 10 +/- can be really bad in hight snow years -- impossible sometimes (my wife, 5' 2" is a bit more concenred...).

I think you'll be OK for water after July 15th. Snow (Muir, Mather maybe Pinchot) could be unpleasant until the 20th.

There's really no telling until the melt actually begins at that elevation. It's still cold, so it's not even started. In a couple of weeks I'll have a better idea.

Keep with your trip. You may have to hang out in places. Likely go slower, but so what? Don't burn yourself out to achieve some vision of summer mileage -- may not be possible.

Have a great trip!

George
gdurkee
Founding Member

Humprey

Post by gdurkee »

SnowNymph:

Boy, that brings back memories. In 19 ought and 83 (an El Nino year) I was stationed at McClure and confidently brought my skis up to Evolution. As we thrashed up higher, we ran into horrendous sun cups. Was hoping to loop through the Ionian on skis in June. Alas, we turned around. THough we did go over the gap and down McGee Lakes -- not too bad with the exposure. I remember looking up to see how my wife was doing after going through a dip. I just saw a pair of skis come flying out of the dip with no one on board. She was a tad frustrated and just took them off, threw them away, and started walking.

We're still married though... .

g.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

At one of the water crossings, I waded across first. SnowDude threw his boots over, and one started rolling down towards the water. I tried to catch it, and the weight of my pack pulled me down (I got the boot). I had a sharp pain in my lower back that night, and was part of the reason we bailed. Would have been a drag hiking over those suncups with only one boot :eek:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Creek crossings will definitly be a concern in June maybe into July. Creek crossings should always be taken seriously, even if it does not appear too bad.:paranoid:

Remember to unbuckle your waist belt, and always, always wear foot protection ie, Chacos, Tevas, etc,.

Also, if your on the JMT around June, make sure you stay on route and do not drop down too close to Evolution Lake. I had to swim out and chip a backpacker out of the ice last June. He had gotten off route (wearing snowshoes) and got out over the water (unknowingly?) and fell through the ice. He never had a chance. :(

Use common scense and be safe out there!
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

Oh my! :eek:

How sad...

Jerry
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

I was in Yosemite in early July last year and assuming conditions turn out similar this year, you can expect lots of snow and water. The JMT should be doable as long as you are comfortable with the expected conditions and are ready for hard hiking and slow progress.

After taking note of all the warnings, it is great fun to be out in early season conditions - not many people, waterfalls and cascades raging and the wildlife emerging from winter.

Last year I went from YV to Tuolumne via Merced Lake and Vogelsang and the snow level was just above 9000'. The link below shows the view of Vogelsang Lake from V. Pass on July 2nd and shows how important the warning in Skibum's post should be taken. You can see where the lake edge is from above but once down there it is just a field of suncups. Stay away from lake edges.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/447 ... 0152pLTKVj

On the positive side I didn't see anyone from a couple of miles from Little Yos valley on the Friday lunchtime until I was almost down into Lyell Canyon mid-morning on the Sunday. Not bad for a holiday weekend on a popular trail. I just wish I was able to make it out there again this summer - and early season.

George - I love the idea of your 5'2" wife crossing Evolution Creek in bad conditions. I can't stop remembering a cartoon clip where the character walks into one side of the river, disappears underwater then emerges walking up the far riverbank. I think it was Principal Skinner chasing Bart Simpson :D
LarBear
Topix Novice

Post by LarBear »

I agree that you can't tell how it will be until we see the snow melt. However, Evolution Creek is sure to be hard to cross. Two tips. Don't cross at the trail crossing. Coming from the north turn right at the creek on the use trail for around 1/4 mile until you come to Evolution Meadow which is obvious across the creek. Cross there. The creek is shallow , slow and has soft sand in it, not rocks.
When you get to Whitney don't camp at condoville at the botom of the trail on teh east side or at Guitar Lake. Move further up to the tarn above Guitar Lake and on the east side take the use trail to the plateau above the campsite area at the tarn area at the bottom of the 99 switchbacks. It looks flat but walk towards Consultation Lake and you will find wonderful sheltered sites in cut out areas.