Theft in the Sierra

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Theft in the Sierra

Post by maverick »

Has anyone had anything stolen in the back country, though I do not believe it is
very likely at remote off trail locations, but along main trails like the JMT or HST
it could be more likely.
If yes, what was stolen, and where were you camping at the time?
And what about from you car at the trailhead? If yes, which trailhead?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Theft in the Sierra

Post by rlown »

Carson Pass in '78. Came back to a rear passenger window busted out, and the trunk jimmied open. They didn't touch my tool box, which was in the trunk. Ranger Jennifer said they were probably looking for money on their way to Nevada.

Nothing stolen, but busted up pretty well. I miss the ol' 64 4 door impala. could carry 6 people and packs.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Darn Rlown, that sucks! I would rather they have stolen something than vandalize my
car, which will cost a lot more to get fixed

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Not at a trailhead but camped at Camp 4 (Sunnyside), YNP, while off at Degnon's bagging a pastrami sandwich - some basshole broke into/unzipped my tent and, without anyone seeing anything in the middle of a crowded camp, borrowed my WM Bag and my MSR stove....hmmmm?
Talked to a ranger who told me similar such borrowings happen there far too often to count -
Word to the wise?
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Someone told me they had gear stolen in Little Yosemite Valley - another reason to never camp there again, as if the crowds and the crazy bears weren't enough.

Places like Yosemite frontcountry (I don't consider the corridor between Half Dome and Happy Isles as wilderness, it's more like a big mall full of tourists) are logical places to go if you want to ebay yourself some really expensive gear for profit. :thumbsdown:

Makes me nervous to camp there anywhere... almost justification for taking everything down during the day and putting it back up at night.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Markskor

That is why I lock up anything with value in my trunk when going on a hike, and arm it
though if someone really wants to get it they can.
How far into you stay were you when it got stolen? And if you had a few more days
did you bail or stay?

balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Never had anything stolen in the back country or the front country.

But yes out of cars in front of our house in town.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mav,
Back then, I knew a lot of park employees with gear to lend, thus I was able to borrow a cheap Sierra Design bag and bought another used MSR stove from a friend of a friend.
Ergo, I was able to stay in the park for another month, sort of sucked though about the purloined WM Apache bag.

FYI, it took me a lot of unsatisfying compromises/not really good enough bags before I broke down and sprung for a new WM Badger.
After years of trying to make due with a lesser gear, I realized that I was now bag-spoiled, and nothing but the best would work.
Mountainman who swims with trout
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Personally, no. Never had anything stolen. I returned from a day hike to my way-off-trail campsite (where I was certain no one would come by) and found several footprints around my camp, but nothing taken.

A friend of mine had his car stolen from a day hike trail head, where he was hiking with his young kids. The car was found a few miles down the road over the edge. Fingerprints identified the thief, who was charged with car theft and child endangerment. The latter was his downfall, as it constituted a third strike.

If a particular trailhead has a pattern of break-ins the FS has been known to set up a decoy car and stakeout.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

When I was Roaring River Ranger I always left a window unlocked so if someone really wanted into the station they wouldn't have to do any damage. One June when I returned to the station for the first time since I left the previous fall I found my day pack and a sweater missing. But the good news was they left my beer supply intact. Other than that every time I thought something had been stolen it turned out that I had misplaced it! :o

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!